It’s that time of year, time for the next round of smartphones to blast you in the face just as you’re due for an upgrade. Motorola announced their 2nd generation Moto X phone and as expected it’s much improved over the 1st generation. I was pretty vocal about the first generation Moto X as I thought it could have been much better than it was, I am glad Moto made some changes.
The overall look and design of the Moto X is much sleeker and pleasing to the eye than the previous generation. The outer edges of the phone are metal giving it a more premium look and of course the customizable backs are still available.
Active notifications are still on this version, which is one of the things I liked about the 1st gen and Moto has added some sensors to enhance the experience. They’ve also gotten creative with their LED flash making it a ring around the camera lens which is a nice touch. There are a lot of neat things happening here and the Moto X is worth looking at when you’re out smartphone shopping this fall. Price point is $499 off contract which is $100 less than HTC or Samsung’s offerings and is most certainly cheaper than the upcoming iPhone 6. If Google holds to their Nexus pricing, the Nexus 6 will come in at $349 so that’s another consideration for would be shoppers. Overall while the Moto X isn’t screaming bigger, badder and better specs…it does hold its own against the big boys and the price point is a big factor. Check out the Verge’s hands on video below and the specs after that.
- Display: 5.2-inch Full HD AMOLED with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 (1920×1080, 423ppi)
- Processor: 2.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 801; Adreno 330 GPU
- Memory: 16GB or 32GB internal storage; no micro SD slot
- RAM: 2GB
- Cameras: 13MP rear camera (f2.25, 4K video); 2MP front camera
- Battery: 2,300mAh
- Water repellent: Yes
- Ports: Micro USB; 3.5mm headphone
- Connectivity: 802.11 a/g/b/n/ac; Bluetooth 4.0
- Audio: Front-facing speakers
- Dimensions: 140.8 x 72.4 x 9.9mm
- Other: NFC, GPS, GLONASS, 4 microphones, metal frame
- Weight: 144g
- Network: GSM, CDMA, LTE