One Man’s iPhone 6 Bent And Caught Fire In His Pocket

Mobile / Tech

Phillip Lechter is not the first person to complain of an iPhone bending, but he is the first who’s iPhone 6 bent and then caught fire in his pants. Phillip’s adventure happened while on vacation in Tuscon, Arizona. While walking to a tailgate party, he noticed a pair of rickshaws pedicabs that he thought would be fun to ride the rest of the way. While on the ride, the driver of the rickshaw lost control of the vehicle and Phillip was half tossed out.

We didn’t get much more than a block down the road when the driver/biker caught a trolley track in the road and lost balance. He feel over causing the rickshaw to tip over to the left. Fortunately, the rickshaw didn’t tip all the way over, and we were not thrown out. I was half on, half off the rickshaw as I was sitting on the left side of the seat. I immediately checked my wife and son to make sure they were ok. While I was looking at them, I felt a burning sensation on my leg and then saw and smelled smoke from my pants.

The accident caused the iPhone 6 to bend and catch fire in Phillips trousers, much to his shock and surprise.

The smoke was thick and I quickly laid down to get the APPLE iPhone 6 out of my pocket. The smell was disturbing. I could feel my leg burning. I pulled the Apple iPhone 6 out of my pocket and threw it to the side.

Phillip suffered some burns to his leg and thigh, and went to see his doctor and was diagnosed with 1st and 2nd degree burns. As far as we can discern this was a freak accident that would have never been predictable. The iPhone bending as it did, combined with the battery and electricity is what probably caused the burns. We sincerely hope Phillip is doing OK but we don’t see Apple addressing this accident as anything more than that as any phone would have probably met with a similar fate under the same conditions. Be sure to head over to Phillip’s blog to check out pictures of his injuries and read his entire story.


  Source: Phillip Lechter
To Top