Father’s Day is just around the corner, and what dad doesn’t like to get his hands on some new tech gear? Over the next few days we’ll have a few suggestions for dads who love to exercise, dads who love music, dads who love to game, dads who love the great outdoors, and dads who are on-the-go. We start it off with 8 techie Father’s Day gifts for those dads who love and spend a lot of time in their cars!
There’s no denying that it’s a plugged in world and many people use driving time to recharge their smartphones and other devices. There’s almost nothing more frustrating than trying to plug your USB cable into an outlet only to find you’re trying to jam in it upside down, so you flip it over, and it still doesn’t fit, then you flip it back to the way you originally had it and BINGO! – in she goes. With Bracketron’s EZCharge, you no longer have to worry about which way you plug in as it allows you to plug in your USB cable either way.
- Allows you to plug in “upside down” or “right side up,” so you can connect USB charging cables without fumbling to insert them the “right” way
- Plugs securely into your vehicle’s 12V port; perfect for road trips and long commutes
- Features a sleek, lightweight aluminum housing for easy portability
- Available with one or two USB ports, and comes in all-black or black with silver accents
- Two-port model lets you charge multiple mobile devices simultaneously at the fastest possible speed, and has dual 3.4A capability with one port ideal for smartphones (1.0A) and one for tablets (2.4A)
- Single-port model charges smartphones and tablets at fast speeds
Price: $12.99-24.99USDPurchase from Braketron
Braketron Road Boost XL
We’ve taken a look at a couple of these before and portable jump-starters for your car are definitely a must have for anyone. Small and compact, not only do these portable battery packs jump start vehicles, but they also charge your devices and come with a flashlight and emergency SOS signal!
- 3-in-1 emergency jump-start power bank for your vehicle
- Doubles as mobile device charger, flashlight and SOS signaler
- Comes with jumper cables, car and home chargers
- 12,000mAh battery capacity with output voltage indicator
- Small 6.5 x 3 x 1 inch size allows you to store it in your glove box
- 3000 uses battery life cycle
Price: $129.95USDPurchase from Braketron
Griffin Technology iTrip AUX Bluetooth
While most new cars have Bluetooth connectivity, not everyone is cruising around in the latest model vehicles. Griffin Technology has you covered with the iTrip AUX Bluetooth device which allows you to connect your Bluetooth enabled smartphone or tablet to your Bluetooth-less vehicle.
- Plugs into dash or console 12 volt accessory outlet and include 2’ AUX cable for direct connection to your car stereo’s AUX-in port
- Features top-notch wireless audio connection from your Bluetooth-capable tablet or smartphone to your car stereo
- Simple, quick, one-time-only Bluetooth pairing remembers your mobile device to automatically pair the next time you get in your car
Kinivo Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
If you require the hands-free ability to receive calls while you’re on the road, Kinivo’s Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit also gives you the ability to receive calls as well as control music from your smartphone or other Bluetooth enabled device through your car’s stereo system.
- Connect and stream your smartphone, tablet or any other Bluetooth capable device to your car’s stereo system
- Provides the ability for users to receive calls and operate their device’s voice-command functionality through its built-in microphone
- Safely DJ your car’s tunes with control over audio tracks, including play, pause, previous song and next song
- Easily connects via 3.5mm audio input into the vehicle’s stereo system
Price: $59.99USD (currently on sale for $35 on Amazon*)
Lemur Monitors BlueDriver
Is your dad mechanically inclined? Why take your vehicle in for costly diagnostics when you can connect Lemur Monitors’ BlueDriver to your vehicle and least get an indication of what might be ailing your vehicle. (NOTE: we do recommend taking your vehicle to a licensed auto mechanic, but this device may give you an idea of what to expect when you do!)
- Allows users to wirelessly diagnose and monitor their vehicles performance
- Read and clear diagnostic trouble codes without having to spend money at the mechanic
- Download the free BlueDriver app and plug in the BlueDriver – it’s that easy!
- Generate vehicle specific information such as code definition, possible causes and repair recommendations
- Check for whether or not your vehicle is ready for local emissions test
- BlueDriver is the first line of defense for today’s mechanic
- Affordable diagnostic tool for that fits in your pocket
- Works with all makes and models (sold in U.S. and Canada) that are 1996 or newer
- Pairs via Bluetooth with Apple devices (running iOS 7.0+) and Android devices (running Android 4.0+)
SCOSCHE magicMOUNT XL Series
Tired of fumbling with getting your phone in and out of your car mount cradle? SCOSCHE’s magicMOUNT XL series comes with a magnetic plate you attach to your phone case or phone/tablet – after that it’s simply a matter of holding your phone up to the mount as it locks securely in place.
- Affixes to mobile devices using a high-powered magnetic system made of device-safe neodymium magnets
- Flexible design allows for devices to be mounted in a 360 degree fashion, permitting countless landscape or portrait viewing angles
- Simply hover a smartphone, tablet or other mobile device over the magnetic surface to instantly secure it in place
- magicMOUNT XL Surface: mounts tablets and smartphones flush on almost any surface including dashboards, office walls or kitchen backsplashes to easily view and listen to movies and music, conduct hands-free calls, surf the Internet, view tonight’s recipe and more
- magicMOUNT XL Dash/Window: mounts tablets on vehicle’s dash or window to allow for hands-free navigation and media streaming
ThinkGeek Flux Capacitor USB Car Charger
And last but not least, and I’m sure we’ve posted about this before here or over on our sister site MOARGeek, this could be the coolest USB Car Charger on the market today! Let your dad charge two devices with his very own Flux Capacitor USB Car Charger modelled after the Flux Capacitor from the Back to the Future series.
- A car charger that looks like a Flux Capacitor from the Back to the Future series
- Compatible with anything that charges via USB (smartphones, tablets, GPSes, etc.) as long as you have the cable
- Two 2.1 Amp USB charging ports
- On / Off switch for Flux lighting effect
- Flux Capacitor fluxes in its famous light pattern as it charges your goodies
- Flexible arm pivots up and down so you can better customize it to best fit your vehicle’s power port placement
- Includes: Flux Capacitor unit with 2 USB ports and integrated 12V vehicle cigarette lighter adapter
And there you have a list of a few suggestions for those dad’s who love (or spend a lot of time) in their vehicles. Be sure to check back as we publish the rest of our Father’s Day gift guides over the next few days!
*NOTE: If sale prices are listed, those are current as of the time this post was published and subject to change without notice.