Night lights come in all shapes and sizes with LED night lights becoming very popular as of late. Not all night lights can be situated near a plug, and our dodocool Battery-powered Motion Sensor Night Light review takes a look at a battery operated solution.
The dodocool Battery-powered Motion Sensor Night Light has the following features and specifications:
- Bright Light: Emitting yellow light up to 25 lumens, the two LEDs provide bright lighting in darkness. The maximum vision is 120 degrees. Ideal for night illumination and emergency illumination during power outage.
- Three Modes: A switch allows you to change between AUTO, ON and OFF modes to meet your different requirements. AUTO mode allows you to use the light without manual operations. You could also manually turn on or turn off the light by switching to ON mode or OFF mode.
- Motion Sensor & Light Sensor: During AUTO mode, it will turn on automatically only when motion is detected up to 12 feet away in the darkness. Turn off automatically after about 30 seconds of no motion to prolong battery life.
- Battery Operated: Adopt two bright and durable LED lamp beads to ensure long-term use. With the light sensing function and the auto-off function, powered by four AAA batteries, it can work up to four months in AUTO mode. (Batteries are not included.)
- Versatile & Easy Installation: Install easily and securely within 5 minutes on most flat surfaces. Mount with screws and anchors or just use the double-sided 3M adhesive tape. No worry about complicated wiring or electric supply.
- Light color: Yellow
- Color temperature: 3000 K
- Type of bulb: Light emitting diode (LED)
- Quantity of LED: 2x LEDs
- PIR sensing distance: Approx. 3-4 meters
- PIR sensor size: Approx. 3 x 4 mm
- Supply voltage: 6V
- Operating ambient temperature: -4° to 140° F (-20° to 60° C)
- Non-operating temperature: -40° to 176° F (‑40° to 80° C)
- Standby power consumption: <1 0μA
- Light consumption: <110 mA
- Rated power: < 0.5W
- Power source: 4x AAA batteries (Not included)
- Luminous flux: Approx. 23-25 LM
- Sensing time: Approx. 30 seconds
- Mounting: Screws or adhesive tape
- Dimensions: 3 x 3.25 x 1 inches
- Weight: 3.2 oz
What’s in the box
- dodocool Battery-powered Motion Sensor Night Light
- 2x Mounting Bracket with screws & anchors
- 2x Double-sided 3M Adhesive Tape
- Instruction Manual
The dodocool Battery-powered Motion Sensor Night Light has a fairly simple design and at first glance, it reminded me of a flat battery charger like the kind you get for certain cameras or phones. The casing itself is a slightly off-white color and is just under 1″ thick (1 ¼” including the motion sensor), 3″ wide, and 3 ¼” in height. Centered at the top of the front is the ON/OFF/AUTO switch. Below the switch is the motion and light sensor, and beneath that is a slanted cutout which houses the two LED lights under the top lip.
On the back you’ll find the battery compartment — the light requires 4 AAA batteries (not included) — and two slots for mounting. The night light comes with two mounting plates for mounting with screws or the included 3M tape.
Overall, the design is simple but works well.
To install the night light you’ll first need to figure out where you want it mounted. Depending on the location, you can either screw the mounting plate into your wall or stick it to your wall using the adhesive 3M tape. Once your mounting plate is positioned and fastened to your wall, simply slide the night light into the mounting plate and you’re good to go.
Ease of Use
Once you’ve installed the mounting plate, inserted the batteries, and attached the night light to the plate, simply flick the switch to the ON or AUTO position. When in the ON position, the LED lights will remain on. When in the AUTO position the LED lights will only turn on when the motion sensor detects motion and the surrounding lighting conditions are conducive to requiring a night light.
To be honest there were no performance issues with the dodocool Battery-powered Motion Sensor Night Light during our testing. While dodocool indicates it will turn on if it detects motion within 12 feet, we were able to get it to turn on a bit further away as well. Once no motion is detected for 30 seconds or so, the LED lights turn off automatically. The nice thing about it being power outlet independent is you can mount it higher on the wall for a wider coverage area. The LEDs are definitely bright enough to provide sufficient light at night without being overly bright.
With an MSRP of $17.99USD, this LED night light is a bit on the expensive side. However, it’s currently on sale for $9.99 which is a much better price point. As with some of our previous dodocool reviews, we have a code for the dodocool Battery-powered Motion Sensor Night Light which expires on May 30th. Enter code 5VRSUQ97 at checkout to save yourself an additional $2, bringing the price down to a very reasonable $7.99 for what you get.
The dodocool Battery-powered Motion Sensor Night Light is an excellent solution for areas you require a night light and don’t have a nearby wall outlet.
*We were sent a sample of the dodocool Battery-powered Motion Sensor Night Light for the purposes of this review.
dodocool Battery-powered Motion Sensor Night Light$17.99 USD
- Fairly low profile design
- Decent motion activation range
- Multiple installation options
- Batteries not included
- On the expensive side at regular price