Rumours started surfacing recently that Google’s Android N Developer Preview may be coming to non-Nexus devices, and it turns out that rumour was true. The Developer Preview, which is intended for developers to be able to test their apps before Android N is released to the general public, is now available for the Sony Xperia Z3. Unfortunately not every Xperia Z3 is supported, with only two variants — D6603 and D6653 — supported at this time.
The installation process is easy:
- Connect your compatible Z3 device to a computer with a USB cable.
- Xperia Companion will open automatically
- Make sure you have Xperia Companion version 1.1.24 or later. If not, download the latest version here.
- Hold down the ALT key on your computer and click on Software repair on the home screen, then follow the guide.
- You’ll be asked to disconnect and turn off your device, then to reconnect whilst holding down the volume down key to start the software flashing.
- You can return to factory settings at any time by connecting back to Xperia Companion and following the Software repair
Sony will be updating the developer preview as official milestone updates are released by Google. It’s also interesting that Sony chose the Xperia Z3 for the Android N Developer Preview program, considering the Xperia Z5 is out as well.
What do you think about the news that the Android N Developer Preview is being made available for non-Nexus devices? What device would you like to see the preview come to next? Let us know in the comments below, or on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.[button link=”https://developer.sony.com/develop/smartphones-and-tablets/android-n-developer-preview/” icon=”fa-external-link” side=”left” target=”blank” color=”285b5e” textcolor=”ffffff”]Source: Sony Developer World[/button]
Last Updated on April 21, 2016.