There’s no question that if you have Netflix you’ve done the Netflix binge at least once, in fact it’s almost the new way to watch TV shows. Netflix has examined the global viewing behaviour of more than 100 serialized TV series and developed the Netflix Binge Scale, showing what shows are binged harder than others.
The streaming company found that Netflix members, on average, finish an entire season in one week. However, some shows are devoured — watched more than 2 hours a day to complete a season, while others are savoured — watched less than 2 hours a day. Complex narratives, like that of House of Cards and Bloodline, are indulged at an unhurried pace while viewers take care to appreciate the details of dramas set in bygone eras, like Mad Men and Narcos.
“As The Binge Scale indicates, the viewing experience of a series can range from the emotional to the thought-provoking,” said Cindy Holland, Vice President of Original Content at Netflix. “Netflix helps you to find a series to binge no matter your mood or occasion, and the freedom to watch that series at your own pace – whether that’s to appreciate the drama of Bloodline or power through Orange is the New Black.”
Based on global viewing data, Netflix found that Irreverent Comedies and Political Dramas like Arrested Development and House of Cards were more on the Savor end of the scale, while Horror and Thriller shows like Hemlock Grove and Breaking Bad were on the Devour end of the scale.
- Irreverent Comedies:
- Arrested Development, BoJack Horseman, Club de Cuervos, F is for Family, Love, Summer Heights High, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Wet Hot American Summer
- Political Dramas
- Homeland, House of Cards, Occupied, The Good Wife
- Historical Dramas
- Mad Men, Narcos
- Superhero Drama
- Gotham, Marvel’s Daredevil, Marvel’s Jessica Jones
- Crime Dramas
- Better Call Saul, Bloodline
- Dramatic Comedies
- Flaked, Grace & Frankie, Orange is the New Black, Weeds
- Action & Adventure
- 24, Marco Polo, Prison Break, The Last Kingdom, Turn
- Ascension, Heroes, Sense8, The 100, The 4400
- Hemlock Grove, Scream, The Walking Dead, Z Nation
- Bates Motel, Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Fall, The Killing
What shows do you like to binge, and how hard do you binge them, on Netflix? Do you agree with the findings? Let us know in the comments below, or on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.