I have to admit the Onewheel is still at the top of my list for fun and interesting products that I’ve reviewed here at Techaeris. The Onewheel was first launched at CES 2014, and now at CES 2017 the company has announced the Onewheel+ with a few major upgrades over the original.
Onewheel+ features a newly redesigned motor with breakthrough, patented Hypercore technology that provides even smoother, quieter riding, more torque at all speeds, better hill-climbing and higher top speeds up to 19 mph. Also new for Onewheel+, Surestance footpads combine CNC-machined hardwood tip and tail kick for comfort with 100% sensor coverage making it easier to learn and more comfortable to ride.
“People are using Onewheel in all kinds of ways we never imagined,” says Onewheel Inventor and Future Motion CEO Kyle Doerksen. “Based on what we’ve learned so far, we’ve made Onewheel+ a significantly more refined, more capable product that’s approachable for first-timers and delivers progression for advanced riders.”
“It’s a whole new ballgame,” says Jack Mudd, Onewheel Chief Evangelist. “The comfort, control and confidence of Onewheel+ is going to unleash a whole new wave of both using Onewheel to go places (with its higher top speed) but also riding features and terrain that was previously impossible. It really is next level.”
It’s not like 15mph was fast enough, but it’ll be interesting to see how much smoother and quieter the ride is. Looking at the press photos, the new Surestance footpads with the wider tip and tail kicks definitely look like an improvement over the original flat footpads.
Key features and specifications of the Onewheel+ include:
- Made in America: Designed and manufactured in California
- What’s inside: powerful custom-designed Hypercore brushless hub motor and proprietary balancing electronics propel riders up to 19 MPH (up from 15MPH on the original Onewheel)
- Surestance hardwood tip-and-tail kick footpads create a comfortable and confident ride
- Recharging: Ultracharger recharges state-of-the-art lithium iron phosphate batteries charge in just 20 minutes to provide a range of 6-8 miles
- Balancing: Solid-state inertial sensors and carefully tuned algorithms balance the board to provide a hands-free experience
- CNC machined 6061 billet aluminum frame
- Responsive and durable board inspired by a combination of boardsports, motorsports and aerospace design influences
- Dynamic stabilization: riders simply lean forward to drive forward, lean back to stop, and press their heels or toes to turn the board
- Regenerative braking: recovers ~30 percent of total power output
- Lighting: Intelligent LED head and tail lights guide the way for night rides and switch as the rider reverses direction
- The board’s single wheel is an Italian made go-kart racing slick, a scaled down version of a Formula 1 racing tire
- Future Motion vigorously defends its intellectual property which includes several US and international patents on various core Onewheel technologies as well as the vehicle configuration and design.
The Onewheel+ is now available to order and comes with an Ultra Charger for $1,499USD/€1,699 (excluding shipping, taxes, and duty).
What do you think about the improvements to the Onewheel? Let us know in the comments below or on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.
Last Updated on