Late last year we brought you news of the C by GE Sol, an Alexa-embedded light from GE. By embedding Alexa Voice Services directly into the lamp, there’s no need for an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot to rely on your Alexa-powered functions. GE has now announced that the Sol is expected to ship in September with a suggested retail price of $199.99USD. A host of new features has also been announced and those who pre-order the C by GE Sol lamp will receive a 20% discount.
In addition, the company has announced that current C by GE LED light bulbs will be compatible with Amazon Alexa and Apple Homekit through a new C-Reach hub available later this summer.
FULL PRESS RELEASE
Let There Be a Voice for That Light: GE Illuminates Voice-Driven Experiences at Home
- First illuminating smart product with Amazon Alexa inside lets consumers do more with fun, convenient features, including a visual clock and sleep-enhancing light
- C by GE Sol promotional wait list window opens today with special discount offer
- GE also adds voice compatibility and other features to its smart C by GE light bulbs with Amazon Alexa and Apple Homekit
CLEVELAND, Ohio – May 4, 2017 – The industry’s first Amazon Alexa-embedded lighting product – C by GE Sol – is adding to its convenience and fun as GE announces new features and opens a promotional wait-list window, giving early adopters first dibs on the product, plus an exclusive 20 percent discount. Sol combines functional illumination, a contemporary design, visual indicators for everyday tasks, sleep-based light and all the skills you’d find in an Amazon Alexa product without the need for a stand-alone Alexa-device.
Sol, which gets its namesake from the circular shape and illumination of the sun, is part of GE’s vision to unleash the ultimate living experience with smart products tapping into new potential at home. Starting today, consumers signing up as Sol early adopters will be first in line when product ordering goes live, also receiving a 20 percent discount off the suggested retail price of $199.99. Product is expected to ship in September from Amazon.com and CbyGE.com.
In addition to using Sol to order your dinner, listen to the latest headlines, play music or give a host of other voice commands, the lamp features:
- Visual Indicators: Pair visual light cues with everyday tasks, such as checking the time. Consumers can enable a clock function that puts illumination around the Sol’s ring where clock hands would go in a traditional clock, in addition to unlocking other potential benefits.
- Sleep-Enabled Light: More than a third of Americans aren’t getting enough sleep each night.* GE’s C Sleep light helps reinforce the human body’s natural rhythm and melatonin production to prepare for sleep and awaken more efficiently. A warm light is used to increase melatonin before bed, while a cool, vibrant light helps produce energy in the morning.
- Tunable Light: Tune the 60-watt equivalent light to daylight or soft white color temperatures with a voice command or through the C by GE app. This allows white light tuned to mood in each room, such as crisp, refreshing light in an office setting or warm, relaxing light in the family room – without changing a light bulb.
C by GE Bulbs Also Get Voice Upgrade
The Sol promotional wait list opens as GE adds voice compatibility to its C by GE LED light bulbs. The connected bulbs will be compatible with Amazon Alexa and Apple Homekit this summer. This compatibility is made possible through a new easy-to-operate C-Reach hub, allowing consumers to turn on and off their C by GE lights, dim them and control bulbs individually or in groups by rooms with a simple voice command.
The portfolio expansion also includes the addition of a C by GE LED BR30 light bulb for use in recessed cans, which also will be voice compatible when paired with C-Reach.
To learn more about the C by GE products and to sign-up for the promotional wait list, visit www.CbyGE.com/Sol.
GE’s C by GE brand unleashes the ultimate living experience through a suite of connected products that enable homeowners to do more and be better. Part of the GE Lighting portfolio, C by GE products build on the company’s century of innovation, invention and imagination at work. Our deep understanding of the home and our expertise in the connectivity of things results in simple, connected designs to help people thrive.
GE (NYSE: GE) is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. GE is organized around a global exchange of knowledge, the “GE Store,” through which each business shares and accesses the same technology, markets, structure and intellect. Each invention further fuels innovation and application across our industrial sectors. With people, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for customers by speaking the language of industry.
Last Updated on