Have you ever wanted to learn to play guitar but haven’t had time… money… confidence? While there are various online courses that already can teach you how to learn to play guitar online, none have the backing of Fender, the 70-year old guitar manufacturer. Who better to learn guitar from than one of the biggest and oldest makers of guitars? Introducing Fender Play…
Starting today, Fender Play is launching on the iPhone and desktop — don’t worry, there’s an Android app in the works as well — which teaches you how to play guitar. The new on-demand video-based online learning platform features instructor-led lessons with personalized curriculum based on the user’s favorite songs. Expect to find songs from artists such as U2, Shawn Mendes, The Rolling Stones, Foo Fighters, Meghan Trainor, Carrie Underwood, and more with a vast catalog of hundreds of songs arranged specifically for players at various skill levels.
“Ninety percent of people who pick up the guitar will drop out after one year, and we see Fender Play as a solution to that challenge” said Ethan Kaplan, General Manager FenderDigital. “Our intuitive platform, whether used on its own or as a practice supplement to in-person lessons, allows first time players and beginners to get started. It allows them to learn when and how they want in a digital setting with superior production and accuracy far surpassing your average online lesson video. This is a pinnacle step for Fender Digital as we continue our progression from analog to digital, linking the offline and online experience of playing, while maintaining over 70 years of guitar history.”
The subscription-based service incorporates top-quality, 4K multi-camera video production to deliver a clear and unified curriculum. Among the production elements incorporated for optimum teaching are a split-screen and an over-the-shoulder angle that provides a unique and valuable perspective for the new player.
Created with a panel of educational advisers from prestigious music programs, such as the Thornton School of Music at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles and Musicians Institute in Hollywood, Fender Play allows users to:
- Choose the instruments, songs, and genre they want to learn, putting them in control of their musical journey.
- Track progress, evolution, and development in real-time. Users see their progression and milestones through a user-friendly dashboard – the ultimate progress report.
- Study with a proprietary custom video player that shows chord diagrams on the lesson screen.
- Automatically bookmark at their convenience to learn at their own pace, while following a clear and unified curriculum. Upon return, players will be greeted with refresher lessons on newly-learned skills.
- Learn at their own pace on the go and at their convenience with the portability of program via laptop or mobile devices. A Wi-Fi or LTE connection is required to access the program.
- View4K quality multi-camera footage and production elements, such as split screens and over-the-shoulder angles, which provide a valuable perspective for the new player. Each clip is short and easy-to-digest, making every moment not only educational but engaging.
- Access a large glossary of helpful terms, chords, and videos.
- Discover helpful articles, tips, and tricks based on their lessons and learning path.
- Blaze their own trail based on personal taste and discovery, rather than following the recommended, custom path; browse by genre or featured artist.
- Learn their favorite songs and riffs! Skills are taught in less than 2 minutes and only 22 minutes to a beginner’s first recognizable riff.
Everyone has to start somewhere, right?
Fender Play is available at play.fender.com, for $19.99 per month with a 30-day free trial for new users. The service is launching in the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada, but can be accessed globally in English.