If you’ve ever found yourself with a dead car battery you know it’s not any fun. It’s even less fun when it happens in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, or otherwise when there isn’t anybody else around to help or give you a jump. Thankfully there are options available to help get you back up and running. The iClever Boostengine Car Jump Pack is a compact battery that will charge your smartphone or jump start your car in a pinch. Keep reading to see how it performs in this review.
- Powerful and Compact: Jump start your vehicle (up to 6.0L(T) petrol or 4.0L(T) diesel engine) or 12V 10A lawnmower up to 30 times with this 600 amp of peak current 15000mAh car jump starter and heavy duty clamps and cables. Compact enough to store in your glovebox
- Power Bank With Quick Charger: Adapt quick charge technology (compatible with Qualcomm QC 2.0), you can charge phones, camera, Kinde, and other devices with up to 75% faster speed; Fully recharges in just 3 hours with qc 3.0 car charger (6 hours with normal charger)
- 5 in 1 Multi-Function: Compact Jump Starter + Portable Charger + LED Flashlight + Lighting Signal for help + Dual Smart USB port. It can help you In any case especially for adventure, outdoor, daily, emergency, travel, high and low temperature(-20℃ to 60℃), etc
- Smart Clamp with Security Assurance: Safe and mistake-proof design smart clamp offer over current protection, short circuit protection, overload protection, reverse connection protection, reverse charge protection and over temperature protection
- Lifetime Support, We Guarantee It: Our friendly and reliable customer service will respond to you within 24 hours! You can purchase with confidence, with our 18 month replacement warranty, 30 days money back guarantee and of course our lifetime support guarantee
- Amperage: 600 A
- Voltage: 12 volts
- Safety Rating: CE/FCC/RoHS Certified
- Item Weight: 15.5 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 5.9 x 1.3 x 3.2 inches
What’s in the Box
- iClever Boostengine car jump pack
- Smart Clamp jumper cables
- Micro-USB charging cable
- User Manual
- Warranty info
The iClever Boostengine Car Jump Pack comes in a very nice leatherette zippered case with a carry handle on one end, and the iClever logo and name mark in the center of the front of the case. The zippers have an added leatherette pull, which makes them very easy to grab and open/close. Opening up the case you’ll find everything you need, all very nicely attached inside of the case.
On one side you’ll find the jump pack itself along with the battery clips which are attached to a large plug, the combination of which iClever refers to as the Smart Clamp. On the other, you’ll see the user manual as well as the warranty information card and a Micro-USB charging cable for the battery pack. No car charger is included, which might have been a nice addition, but the USB charging cable can be used with your own car charger in a pinch.
The battery pack itself is bright orange around the outside with black accents and black front/back pieces. The top edge of the battery pack has a large flashlight bulb as well as two USB outputs for charging your phone or other devices. Just above that on the top flat section of the battery is the power button and four LED power indicators. Along the right side of the battery near the top, you’ll find the input for the jumper cables, while the left side has the Micro-USB charging input.
The jumper cables include your standard red and black clamps for the positive and negative terminals respectively. The bulbous “brains” at the other end of the short jumper cables includes a red LED that lights if the cables are connected incorrectly, a green LED that lights if you’re ready to try and start the engine, and a Boost button that can be pressed if a little bit more juice is needed. It’s important to read through the user manual to ensure that you’re using the jump pack properly, as inappropriate use could lead to damage to the battery or to your vehicle. The Smart Clamp also has important safety instructions for its use written on the bottom for reference each time you use it.
Ease of Use
The iClever Boostengine car jump pack is really pretty easy to use. The jumper cables only plug into the battery one way, and you should only attach the cables to your vehicle in the proper manner — red for positive, black for negative. Press the power button on the front of the device and then look at the Smart Clamp for further instruction. There are a few default positions for the charger to take, all of which can be read via the LEDs on the side of the clamp. If the red LED is lit, the cables are on wrong. If the green LED is lit, you’re ready to try and start the car. If the green LED is blinking and you hear a buzzing sound, press the “Boost” button and start the vehicle within 30 seconds. If no LED is lit and there’s no buzzing sound, first check to be sure your cables are properly attached, then press “Boost” and start your vehicle within 30 seconds.
Charging your cell phone is about as easy as it gets, simply plug a USB cable into one of the two USB-A ports and plug the other end of the cable into your device. If it doesn’t start charging automatically simply tap the power button to get things going.
On a nearly dead car battery, I did have a bit of trouble getting the vehicle started even using the Boost button, though a different charger was able to do the trick. It’s entirely possible that the Boostengine got everything started and the second charger simply finished the job, I can’t say with any certainty either way, though I had much better luck with the Boostengine jump pack under all other circumstances.
On a low battery, however, attaching the charger allowed the vehicle to kick over right away and start. Since chances are very good that more often than not your typical “stranded” situation will be the result of a low battery and not a completely drained battery the Boostengine jump pack will serve you well in most instances. If your car battery is completely dead, you’re probably going to be out of luck with most vehicle jump packs anyway.
iClever has also included onboard protections including over current, short circuit, overload, and over temperature protection to ensure your safety.
Battery life will vary based on your charging activities, though with a 15,000mAh battery and 600 peak amps of current ought to last you for quite some time. iClever suggests that you’ll be able to jump start your vehicle — up to 6.0L gas or 4.5L Diesel vehicles — up to 30 times on a single charge. Phone, tablet, or other USB charging shouldn’t be a problem either with the 15,000mAh of battery capacity.
The jump pack also recharges quickly via Micro-USB and a QuickCharge 3.0 car charger, which can be purchased separately. It will recharge more slowly via a standard charger, taking approximately 6 hours. iClever does claim that the battery will hold up to 95% of its charge for up to a year, so if you’re just leaving this device in your car for an emergency you’ll just need to check on it every year or so to be sure it’s all charged up.
The iClever Boostengine car jump pack is listed on Amazon for $99.99USD, though as is often the case it’s on sale for $58.99USD. The $100 neighborhood is maybe just a little bit high for a portable car jump pack, but the sale price under $60 is really a pretty great deal. Even just keeping this in your trunk in case of emergency, a little peace of mind is definitely worth $58.99.
Nobody wants to be caught with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere. A jump pack can help more often than not in those situations. The iClever Boostengine provides a complete package for your jump pack and battery pack needs at an affordable price.
*We were sent a review sample of the iClever Boostengine jump pack for the purposes of this review.
iClever Boostengine$99.99 USD
- Nice leatherette case that holds everything together
- Easy to operate
- Compact design won't take up a lot of room in your trunk
- Starts your vehicle quickly
- Would have been nice to have a car charger included
- Had trouble jumping one battery that another jump pack was able to finish starting