Nathan Mellor, the creator of the highly rated and popular BackCountry Navigator app on the Google Play Store is back again. This time he’s started a Kickstarter campaign for BackCountry Navigator XE — a new version which turns your Android or iPhone device into a full-featured outdoors GPS navigation device.
A few new features over the current app include:
- Cross-Platform: The original BackCountry Navigator has only been available on Android (with 4,352 5-star reviews and 6 years at #1 in its category), and Mellor is really excited to be bringing BackCountry Navigator XE to Android, iOS , and the web.
- More Maps = More Adventures: A huge selection of maps for exploring the wilderness are at your fingertips with BackCountry Navigator XE. The app will make it easy for you to download and use topo maps, marine charts, aerial photography and more. Not only that, backers will be first in line to suggest map services from governments or organizations willing to work with the developer.
- Overlays Aplenty: Enabling the use of more overlay options than ever before, both free and affordable. These will include BLM Boundary maps, property maps, lake map contours, trail maps, specialty data and more. Whatever your adventure, BackCountry Navigator XE has got you covered.
- Easier Grid-Based Organization: Saving map areas offline will be simple, with an easier, grid-based approach. Get it downloaded and keep it organized.
- Going Global with VECTOR TOPO MAPS: Download vector topo maps for the Earth’s surface with easy installation. Compact storage will allow whole states and countries to be downloaded. Flexible styles will make them most readable for you.
- Easy To Learn: One of the major pieces of feedback the developer has had over the years is that the existing app can be a bit difficult to get the hang of. For BackCountry Navigator XE, they’ll be focusing on making the app easy to learn and simple to use, so you can get exploring the outdoors quicker than ever!
- Planning In The Cloud: With the cloud editor, you’ll be able to plan your treks, and upload tracks and waypoints to customize your adventure on the web before you go. Your plans will synchronize effortlessly with your mobile device so you can navigate the outdoors easily. When you get back home, you’ll be able to review exactly where you explored.
- and much more…
As you can see, the app will be useful for outdoor activities including hiking, backpacking, camping, kayak and canoe trips, wild game hunting, off-road vehicle driving, Search and Rescue, and geocaching — just to name a few. The app will feature a subscription model and will have Bronze, Silver, and Gold tiers at launch. If you back it during the Kickstarter campaign, you can save up to $10 off the price of a yearly subscription.
The BackCountry Navigator XE is fully funded and with 15 days to go, you can still pledge $10 or more and get a year of premium access to the app and various maps (depending on pledge level) when it launches in May of next year.
Have you been using the original BackCountry Navigator app? Have you, or will you be backing BackCountry Navigator XE Kickstarter? Let us know in the comments below or on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.
Last Updated on October 24, 2022.