If you’re in need of a home security solution but want a DIY alternative, Samsung may have you covered. Their new Samsung SmartThings ADT home security solution could be just the thing you’re looking for. Consisting of a Home Security Starter Kit and Home Safety Expansion Pack, the new solution from Samsung and ADT gives consumers the ability to create a safe and secure home and grow their connected home ecosystem as their needs evolve. The system is paired with ADT’s monitoring services but without the long-term contracts.
“We know from research that home security and safety are top reasons why consumers adopt smart home technology,” said Bill Lee, Vice President, Smart Home Product Marketing, Samsung Electronics America. “The collaboration with ADT enables us to connect our Samsung SmartThings ecosystem to the most trusted name in life safety so consumers have peace of mind knowing that someone is ready to react to an incident at home in just a moment’s notice.”
The basis for the new DIY system is the Home Security Starter Kit, which includes the Security Hub, two Door and Window Detectors, and Motion Detector. The system size can be expanded with additional sensors as needed, including fire, carbon monoxide and water detection with the addition of the Home Safety Expansion Pack. The ADT Security Hub touchscreen panel also works as a SmartThings Hub so users can control and monitor third-party smart devices, like door locks and doorbells, thermostats, light bulbs and more — making it easy to customize endless combinations for home devices to work together, without needing additional hardware. From the Android — and iOS — compatible SmartThings mobile app, users can easily manage these devices and sensors, set up routines, and receive alerts based on their preferences, as well as check on the security of their home.
“We believe everyone deserves to feel safe, and with this launch, we’re truly redefining the home security industry,” said Jay Darfler, Senior Vice President, ADT Emerging Markets. “By partnering with Samsung SmartThings, we’re able to expand our professional monitoring services to even more customers looking for the smartest and safest DIY home security solution on the market.”
“One of the top reasons our customers are interested in smart home is the ability to easily monitor and secure their homes, but their wants and needs can vary greatly,” said Mary Ortizcazarin, Vice President of Smart Home at Best Buy. “The new Samsung SmartThings and ADT partnership gives them more flexibility than ever to control their homes how, when and where they want to.”
Key features include:
- Do It Yourself (DIY) simplicity: Protect the family with a fast-response, easy-to-install home security system with built in Smart Home control functionality. The ADT Security Hub and wireless detectors and alarms help protect against intrusion, fire, carbon monoxide, and more.
- Enjoy 24/7/365 peace of mind with optional ADT professional monitoring services: Flexible, low month-to-month fees and no long-term contracts that consumers can sign up for any time, via the mobile app.
- Smart security: The brain of the smart home security system, the ADT Security Hub features a 7-inch touchscreen control panel with a built-in siren, battery and no-cost, cellular data backup, and dual encryption wireless technology.
- Works as a SmartThings Hub—connect and manage the smart home, easily: The customizable, DIY security system connects with hundreds of compatible SmartThings devices to allow for one central control point. The touchscreen panel & mobile app let consumers control their system, even on the go, while monitoring and activating connected devices in your home.
- A home that grows with you: Since the ADT Security Hub works as a SmartThings hub, consumers can add their favorite automation and smart devices, like lights, cameras, doorbells, door locks, thermostats, sensors, voice assistants, and more, right from the SmartThings mobile app
The ADT Home Security Starter Kit starts at $549.99USD and ADT Home Safety Expansion Pack starts at $199.99USD. Monthly monitoring is available starting at $14.99USD for life safety and $24.99USD security services. The product is available for pre-order starting today on BestBuy.com. On October 29, the product will be available in Best Buy stores as well as BestBuy.com, Samsung.com and SmartThings.com.