Last year buying a Samsung phone was risky business as the Note7 suffered from issues that caused them to catch fire. Samsung took responsibility for the problem and in the end, ended up recalling all Note7 devices. So you would think that having a Samsung phone would now be safe. Well, I’d say Samsung phones are very safe as Samsung has done a lot to bolster quality control of its new phones. But what about your older Samsung phone?
Many older Samsung phones have replaceable batteries and when you hear news of a Samsung phone exploding, you take notice. A video out of Indonesia has surfaced of a man whose Samsung phone exploded in his pocket causing his shirt to catch fire. It’s a pretty nerve-racking moment and one none of us would like to happen to us. Watch the clip below:
Since the incident, Samsung was able to get its hands on that phone. The company has determined that the battery that was installed in the phone was not an OEM part. Meaning the battery was not manufactured by Samsung, therefore, was not compatible with the phone.
“From a thorough investigation, we have found that the battery used in the device was not manufactured by Samsung or a company authorised by Samsung,” a company spokesman told CNET in an e-mail.
“We sincerely wish for our customer’s swift recovery, and strongly recommend all our consumers to use Samsung’s genuine or approved batteries that have been specifically designed for use in Samsung products,” CNET quoted the spokesman as saying on Oct 6.
Thankfully the man (identified as Mr. Yulianto) had no significant injuries. You can see Yulianto clutching his face, most likely just a gut reaction to fire and sparks flying in that vicinity. The lesson here is if you have a replaceable battery in your phone and it needs to be replaced. Buy the OEM version. Buying the OEM Samsung part ensures you’re getting a proper battery and Samsung will most likely cover any damages. I know it’s not easy these days as many companies are producing knockoff batteries complete with OEM logos.
Last Updated on October 9, 2017.