It’s that time again and YouTube Canada has revealed the top videos, music videos, movie trailers, and advertisements seen on the service for 2017 by Canadians. The top trending videos in Canada covered quite the spectrum ranging from the extremely popular sea lion dragging a girl into the ocean to Eminem’s blistering rap against Trump. As always, there were some tender moments as well from the livestream of April the Giraffe giving birth to a toddler stealing popcorn from Prince Harry.
Love him or hate him, Canadian Justin Bieber now has 4 videos that have reached over one billion views with both “Despacito” and “I’m the One” snagging two out of the top three top music videos of the year. In addition, “Despacito” sits atop the all-time views for any YouTube vide with 4.4 billion views. Taylor Swift also set a new record for most views within the first 24 hours of a video going live with 43.2 million views for “Look What You Made Me Do.”
Superhero movies snagged five out of the top ten spots for movie trailer’s viewed but it was the official trailer for Star Wars: The Last Jedi that captured the top spot. Pennywise snagged second with the IT teaser trailer and Marvel’s Thor: Ragnarok rounded out the top three.
A top ten ads leaderboard is also included in this year’s Rewind and are selected based on views, watch times, and shares. Chevrolet Canada snagged the top honours with “The Canadian Dream,” a fitting ad for Canada’s 150th birthday. The ad focused on inclusion and opportunity for everyone who calls Canada home.
Each year, we take a look at the top ads that resonated with people on YouTube. The YouTube Canada Ads Leaderboard showcases the most creative ads that Canadians chose to watch during the year, determined by an algorithm that factors in audience engagement (watch time, likes, shares), video views, and audience retention (how much of a video people watched). In addition, we factor in organic versus paid views.
Without further ado, let’s check out the list!
Top Trending Videos in Canada
- Sea lion drags girl into Steveston waters
- Eminem Rips Donald Trump in BET Hip Hop Awards Freestyle Cypher
- Animal Adventure Park Giraffe Cam
- Ping Pong Trick Shots 3 | Dude Perfect
- Northern Ontario Moose vs Wolf
- Woman interrupted during BBC interview
- Sneaky toddler steals Prince Harry’s popcorn
- In a Heartbeat – Animated Short Film
- $1 donut vs. $100 donut
- France 24 en direct – 24 hour livestream news channel
Top Trending Music Videos in Canada
- Luis Fonsi – “Despacito” ft. Daddy Yankee
- Ed Sheeran – “Shape of You” [Official Video]
- DJ Khaled ft. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, Lil Wayne – “I’m the One”
- Bruno Mars – “That’s What I Like”
- Kendrick Lamar – “HUMBLE.”
- Taylor Swift – “Look What You Made Me Do”
- The Weeknd – “Reminder”
- Zedd & Alessia Cara – “Stay (Lyric Video)”
- Cardi B – “Bodak Yellow”
- Shawn Mendes – “There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back”
Top Trending Movie Trailers in Canada
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser
- IT – Official Teaser Trailer
- Thor: Ragnarok Teaser Trailer
- Black Panther Teaser Trailer
- Deadpool 2 Teaser Trailer (2018)
- Justice League – Official Trailer 1
- The Boss Baby “Diapers” Trailer Tease (Animation, 2017)
- The Emoji Movie Trailer 1 – 3 (2017)
- Blade Runner 2049 – Official Trailer
- Spider-man: Homecoming – Official Trailer #2
YouTube Canada Ads Leaderboard 2017
- The Canadian Dream – Chevrolet Canada (Creative – McCann, Media – Dentsu Aegis Network)
- SickKids VS: MomStrong – SickKids (Creative – Cossette, Media – Cossette)
- #MostCanadian Airline Ever – WestJet (Creative – In-house, Media – Media Experts)
- The Great Canadian Chase – Coca-Cola Canada (Creative – Sid Lee, Media – Carat)
- Nintendo Switch – Nintendo (Creative – Leo Burnett, Media – Zenith)
- Born the Hard Way – Budweiser (Creative – Anomaly, Media – UM)
- Worlds Apart – Heineken (Creative – Publicis)
- Hero’s Journey – Kia Motors America (Creative – Innocean, Media – Innocean)
- Bringing Canadian Families Together – Catelli Pasta (Creative – Environics, Media – Bam Strategy)
- The Rock and Siri Dominate the Day – Apple Canada (Creative – TBWA\Media Arts Lab, Media – OMD)
What do you think about the top videos in this year’s YouTube Canada Rewind? Is there one that didn’t make the list that you think should have? Let us know in the comments below and be sure to follow us on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.
Last Updated on December 6, 2017.