Sure, you can shell out big money for an expensive surveillance system but mitipi is looking to try and prevent burglaries at a lower cost with Kevin (Home Alone anyone?) — a virtual roommate which simulates someone being at home. By using intelligent light and sound effects, Kevin naturally simulates an actual person moving around the house doing day-to-day tasks. This wards off potential burglars, who favor swift break and enter without risk of human detection.
“Having spent extensive time talking with the victims of burglaries, it’s clear that home protection needs to evolve beyond surveillance, reporting, and alarms,” comments Julian Stylianou, mitipi Founder & CEO. “This is why we created Kevin – we envisage a world where burglars only exist in history books, and we want to add value and innovation to the world of home security, by offering a prevention-first solution.”
Unlike complex security systems and cameras, Kevin can be set up in five minutes and is controlled by buttons on the device or through an app. Using smart logic that factors in time zone, region, language, weather, and more, Kevin then produces random simulations of presence in your home. These include household sounds, conversations, lights, shadows, TV effects, and more.
Some key features and specifications of Kevin include:
- First IoT device equipped with full sets of custom simulation data made with matching and corresponding visuals to ward off burglars
- Simple and convenient to use – allows you to connect and control Kevin via the app or use the three physical buttons to operate all core functions (no prior tech knowledge needed)
- Home-owners can record their own audio clips for Kevin to utilize – be it music from a piano, sounds of pots and pans, people talking, etc.
- Core features all work in offline mode should the user prefer and device is energy efficient (peak consumption will be 60W or less)
- Chipset: 32-bit Dual Core CPU for low power consumption
- Storage: 4GB (Final Storage TBC)
- WiFi: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n/e/i, 2.4GHz up to 150Mbps
- Supports: WPA/WPA2/WPA2-Enterprise and WPS
- Bluetooth: Compliant with v4.2 BR/EDR and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
- Light/Sensors: 2200lm in warm white (2700K), plus an additional 900lm full-color RGB Illumination Sensor
- Audio: 5W (RMS) Speaker
- Power Supply: Support of voltages 110-240V, 50-60Hz
- Dimensions (width * height * depth): 21.2 x 10.2 x 9.2 cm (8.4 x 4.0 x 3.6″)
mitipi is looking to raise $50,000 USD in its all-or-nothing campaign with Early Bird units starting at $149USD each with shipping anticipated in December 2018.
As with any crowdfunding campaign, there is a risk supporting them. We’ve recently heard about several that we’ve written about that have failed or are having issues. Our reporting on Kickstarter campaigns does not mean we support or are affiliated with them. Support at your own risk.Back on Kickstater