The new Sony Xperia Ear Duo earbuds are Sony’s true wireless and ambient noise headphones with a suggested retail price of $279.99USD. The Spatial Acoustic Conductor, developed by Sony’s in-house technology incubator Future Lab Program, allows the sound generated behind your ear by the unit’s driver to be transmitted directly into your ear. The specially designed ring supporter surrounds your ear canal, so your music can blend seamlessly with sounds from your environment. Basically, you can listen to music and still maintain auditory awareness around you.
The Sony Xperia Ear Duo also responds to head gestures — the sensors allow you to answer or decline incoming calls by shaking or nodding your head (or to skip through music by shaking your head left and right). You can also control your music and volume by simply tapping and scrolling on the device.
Voice control is also built in with flexible access to the personal assistants you use most, whether it’s Google Assistant or Siri. Quad microphone beam-forming isolates the sound of your voice, filtering out external noise to help you set reminders, send messages, make calls, or launch an application, all freely and easily.
Here are the key features of these new headphones:
- Compatible with Android version 5.0 or later (Bluetooth® profile: A2DP, AVRCP, HFP). iOS version 10 or later (Bluetooth profile: A2DP, AVRCP, HFP). iPad not supported.
- Controlled by touchpad on each core unit or with voice command (Google™ for Android; Siri for iOS). Head gesture capability.
- Small, light, and durable – 0.7 x 2.3 x 0.4 core unit dimensions; 0.4oz each. IPX2 water protection on core unit.
- Smart Support – Daily Assist. Notification readouts. Anytime Talk. Android support only.
- Quad microphone arrangement – two microphones on each core unit.
- Audio – quad microphone with beamforming Noise suppression. Adaptive volume control. Echo and Wind noise cancelation, Clear PhaseTM. Dynamic driver unit on each core unit. Codecs SBC/AAC.
- Five sensors – accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity, compass, and barometer.
- Battery – core unit 56 mAh each (charging case 740mAh).
- Applications – host application available on Google Play/iTunes App Store. Android version 5.0 or later. iOS10 or above. No support for iPad.
- Connectivity – Bluetooth® 4.2 LE. USB Type C. Easy pairing with Host App (automatic pairing when Host App is opened and device is nearby). Android only.
- Easy and fast charging – USB Type-C on charging case. Up to one hour of listening after a seven-minute charge.
- Talk time up to 2.5 hours (up to 10 hours with carrying case).
- Listening time up to 4 hours (up to 16 hours with carrying case).
- Two styles – black and gold.
Last Updated on May 3, 2018.