Are you looking for a good alternative to UpWork? Find out some of the most popular alternatives in today’s post.
UpWork, which was created from a merger of Elance and oDesk, is one of the most popular platforms for anyone looking for a remote employee or a freelance job. Upwork gained its popularity because it’s huge and supports over 100,000 projects.
However, its strengths are also its weakness, and there are a multitude of UpWork competitors to consider.
Why should you consider an alternative?
UpWork is known for having a rather disjointed customer service system. Hundreds of users complained that their accounts were frozen without any given warning. When trying to contact them, they received no explanation on their frozen accounts, making it a hard platform to receive support.
And, UpWork has a rating system, but it doesn’t accurately show the communication skills of a freelancer. Plus, its system benefits users who have been on its platform longer. This means that it can be an uphill battle if you’re a new user.
Upwork’s messaging system is filled with bugs and complications. Not to mention, its payment system takes at least 2 weeks to obtain payment. In fact, they place high fees on each transaction withdrawal, so you’ll only be getting 80% of the wages that you earn.
Hubstaff connects clients and freelance professionals with finesse and efficiency. This platform is free and displays a freelancer’s experience, languages spoken, skills, hourly rate, and their résumé.
In order to find agencies and freelancers, you can browse their profiles, contact the freelancer directly, agree on work terms, and get started!
Features that Differentiates Hubstaff from UpWork:
- There are no fees or markups on either side (business owner or freelancer). This means that the freelancer receives the full profit of what the client pays them.
- Employers can contact freelancers, screen and interview them, then hire them without paying any additional fees.
- Hubstaff has cheap plans starting at $5 per month.
- Since the platform has no fees, Hubstaff’s Talent takes a small role in agreements and pairing. Clients and Freelancers are free to work out their work agreements and disputes on this platform.
- You can use Hubstaff’s tracking software, which has payment options and invoicing via Payoneer, PayPal, and Bitwage.
Fiverr is one of the largest freelance online services available. Originally, the site offered $5 services but now you can receive almost any service on the site for about five dollars or more. The services can be as professional as designers creating a t-shirt to beatboxing, making prank calls, and more.
What makes it different:
- Fiverr is great for simple gigs that have predetermined outcomes.
- Fiverr is best used for people who want a project completed fast and on a low budget.
- You can post a project or search through gig offers to see something that matches your requirements.
While you won’t get high-quality results with Fiverr, it’s a great platform if you’re in a hurry. Though its one of UpWork competitors, its great for a multitude of projects that you wouldn’t normally use UpWork for.
People Per Hour
People Per Hour is a platform that’s very similar to UpWork but has a few unique features that differentiate it from its predecessor. For instance, it has popular requests that have a fixed price. Freelancers can define their own hourly rating and set the price for it.
How it’s different from UpWork:
- Posting job listings is free.
- You can search for “Hourlies” which are price offers that help your freelancer start immediately.
- Alternatively, you can create a job posting and let the freelancers in the People Per Hour community find you.
- It offers buyer’s protection. This means that your funds are held in escrow until the freelancer delivers the service.
No matter which UpWork competitors you choose, you’re going to need a platform that helps you manage your remote workers or teammates. Most of the platforms stated above will try to rope you in but remember you can always find an alternative solution that’s more valuable to your business.