After months of rumors, leaks, and more rumors, Samsung finally took to the stage at Unpacked in NYC to announce the Galaxy Note9. There wasn’t much to be surprised by as the device had already been significantly leaked over the past few weeks. Still, the excitement over the announcement of a new Note phone is intoxicating to many. Here’s what the company showed us today.
Before introducing the Galaxy Note9, the company kicked off the event by playing some memories of Note’s past. Poking fun at themselves but mostly mocking those who said the Note series would never be a thing. It’s obvious that Samsung’s Note series is very popular now but Samsung did take a few more moments to explain just how and why it’s so popular.
Enough about the memories. Let’s get into the new Galaxy Note9, here are the highlights:
- 6.4″ end-to-end display
- Four new colors
- Ocean Blue – with yellow S-Pen
- Lavender purple
- Metallica Copper
- Midnight Black
- The largest battery on a Note 4,000mAh
- Starting at 128GB of storage up to 512GB with expandable storage
- The 10-nanometer processor supports up to 1.2GB per second
- Samsung also partnered with Fortnite to announce Fortnite beta exclusively on Galaxy smartphones.
- AKG-tuned stereo speakers
- Water-carbon cooling system for smooth operation
- New camera software will notify you if your shots are blurry or not right
- The S-Pen now functions as a remote shutter for your Galaxy Note9 camera
- The S-Pen can also function as a remote for other apps like YouTube, SnapChat and more
- The S-Pen uses Bluetooth Low Energy and charges in 40-seconds inside the Galaxy Note9
- Samsung DeX is also built-in
Intelligent Camera to Help Capture the Perfect Shot
It can be hard to take a picture that looks just like the ones the pros take – but it shouldn’t be. Galaxy Note9 builds on Samsung’s camera technologies with new capabilities that take the work out of getting the perfect picture.
- Scene Optimizer: The Galaxy Note9 camera uses intelligence to identify elements of a photo, such as scene and subject, to automatically classify it into one of 20 categories. It then optimizes saturation, white balance, brightness and contrast based on the category. The result is a stunning, lifelike image with bold colors and dynamic definition.
- Flaw Detection: We don’t always get things right on the first shot, but Galaxy Note9 lets you know if there’s something wrong, so you can take another picture before you lose the moment. You’ll get an immediate notification if the image is blurry, if the subject blinked, if there is a smudge on the lens or if there is backlight impacting the quality of the image.
- Premium Camera: With the unique combination of advanced intelligence features and premium hardware, the Galaxy Note9 camera is the best in the smartphone market. It comes with advanced noise reduction technology, and a Dual Aperture lens, which adjusts to light just like the human eye. No matter the lighting conditions, the Galaxy Note9 top-tier camera delivers a crystal clear shot.
All Day Performance
You rely on your smartphone for almost everything you do – all day, every day. You need a phone that can keep up, so you don’t have to find the nearest outlet to recharge, delete pictures to free up storage for your next snap, anxiously wait for your video to download before boarding your flight, or deal with a choppy gaming experience.
You need a phone that won’t let you down and Galaxy Note9 delivers.
- All Day Battery: Galaxy Note9 features a 4,000mAh battery that gives you long-lasting power to use all day. You’ll be able to talk, text, play games, and watch movies.
- Store More, Delete Less: Galaxy Note9 is available with two internal storage options – choose from 128GB or And with the ability to insert a microSD card (sold separately), Galaxy Note9 is 1TB ready, so you have the peace of mind knowing you have enough room to add to all of your favorite photos, videos, and apps.
- Speed and Power: Galaxy Note9 is a super powerful smartphone with cutting-edge 10nm processor and support for the fastest network speeds available in the market (up to 1.2 gigabits per second), so you can stream and download without slowing down. Galaxy Note9 also includes a Samsung developed Water Carbon Cooling system and an on-device AI-based performance adjusting algorithm to deliver powerful yet stable performance.
Samsung also announced a new smartwatch at the event. Simply called the Galaxy Watch. Most of the specs and features are about the same as other smartwatches. Though Samsung says their Galaxy Watch battery will go several days without charging, so that’s something. We’ll cover more of the Galaxy Watch in a separate post.
Galaxy Note9 will be available in two new colors Ocean Blue and Lavender Purple in both carrier and Unlocked by Samsung versions. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, Verizon Wireless and Xfinity will carry the 128GB Galaxy Note9 in stores and online beginning August 24, 2018, for $999.99USD. The 128GB Galaxy Note9 will also be available at Amazon, Best Buy, Costco, Sam’s Club, Straight Talk Wireless, Target, and Walmart as well as Samsung.com and the ShopSamsung app. The 512GB Galaxy Note9 will be available at select retail locations and online at AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, U.S. Cellular and Samsung.com starting August 24, 2018, for $1,249.99USD.
Pre-orders will begin at 12:01 a.m. EDT on August 10, 2018.
Turn up your play. Samsung is giving those who pre-order a special offer in partnership with one of the hottest mobile games! Consumers who pre-order Galaxy Note9 between August 10, 2018 and August 23, 2018 can choose a pair of AKG noise-cancelling headphones ($299 retail value) or the Fortnite Galaxy skin with 15,000 V-bucks ($150 retail value), for free—or get both for just $99 ($449 retail value). The promotion will last for a limited time and only while supplies last. Terms and conditions apply. Visit samsung.com/us/promotions to learn more. In addition, all Galaxy Note9 and Tab S4 users will receive a unique Fortnite Galaxy skin.
In Canada, Galaxy Note9 will be offered in Midnight Black with matching S Pen and in Ocean Blue with a yellow S Pen. At launch, the Note9 will be available for $1,299.99CAD (MSRP) for the 128GB option and $1,629.99CAD (MSRP) for the 512GB model. Galaxy Note9 carrier versions will be available for pre-order beginning at 11:30 a.m. EDT on August 9, 2018. Consumers who purchase the Galaxy Note9 device between August 9th, 2018 – August 23rd, 2018 will also receive a bonus Samsung Gear IconX (retail value of $299.99CAD). Bell Canada, Rogers Wireless, TELUS, Freedom Mobile and Videotron will all carry the 128GB Note9 in stores and online beginning August 24, 2018. The 512GB model will only be available in Midnight Black in Canada exclusively at Samsung.com/ca and Samsung Experience Stores.