The SKAGEN Falster was the company’s first touchscreen minimalist smartwatch. After listening to customer feedback, the SKAGEN Falster 2 keeps with the same minimalist design but with features that fans of the original asked for.
UPDATE (09/14/2018 11:45 a.m. ET): The SKAGEN Falster 2 is now available for purchase on SKAGEN’s website.
ORIGINAL ARTICLE cont.:
Featuring the addition of two programmable pusher buttons, the Falster 2 Wear OS smartwatch also gains heart rate monitoring, untethered GPS, NFC, and improved water resistance for active swimmers. All this without sacrificing the minimalist design SKAGEN strives for.
“The Falster 2 represents everything SKAGEN stands for: beautiful, design-focused products that are functional for the way people live,” says Frederik Thrane, creative director for SKAGEN. “An appreciation of simplicity and a thoughtful approach to how your time is spent are key elements in the Danish way of life—and we capture them in our smartwatches through minimalist execution and customizable function.”
The full feature and specification list for the new SKAGEN Falster 2 include:
- Heart Rate: Powered by Wear OS by Google, Falster 2’s newly integrated Google Fit allows users to prioritize their wellness. The wearer’s heart rate is automatically tracked across a variety of workouts.
- Untethered GPS: Falster 2 has GPS capabilities built into the watch rather than needing to piggyback off a synced smartphone. This allows users to have more accurate workouts and leave their phone at home during bike rides, walks and runs while still tracking their route—viewable right on their watch dial—and distance logged.
- Near Field Communication (NFC): Falster 2 features integrated NFC technology, which allows users to make hands-free payments via Google Pay and access participating public transit systems using their device (available at launch in select countries. Sensitive account information is protected by a user-set lock code, preventing data and identity theft in the event the watch is lost or stolen.
- Magnetic Mesh Strap:
Quckfastening and easily adjustable fit Swimproof: Improved water resistance for swim workouts or hanging poolside
- Function-Based Dials for quick access to favorite features
- Smartwatch Notifications
- Activity Tracking
- Customizable Watch Faces
- Voice Command, powered by Google Assistant
- Interchangeable Straps
- Powered with Wear OS by Google
- Qualcomm® Snapdragon Wear™ 2100 Platform
- Compatible with iOS 9.3+ and Android 4.4+ (excluding Go edition)
- Sensors: Heart Rate, NFC, GPS, Altimeter, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Ambient Light, Microphone
- Case material: Stainless steel
- Case size: 40mm
- Lug width: 20mm
The SKAGEN Falster 2 smartwatch will be available in September with a starting MSRP of $275 USD. The available styles will include black with black silicone strap, stainless steel silver, rose gold, or gray with matching magnetic mesh straps, or silver with a cognac leather strap.
Last Updated on September 14, 2018.