Android Pie (9.0) is now rolling out to the Razer Phone 2. While getting the latest Android version is great news, those holding out on picking up a Razer Phone 2 might want to jump on their limited time, and substantial, price cut.
The Razer Phone 2 was announced back in October of last year and is a game-centered mobile phone with impressive specifications. The retail price of the Razer Phone 2 is US$799 but you can get one now on Razer’s website for US$499. That’s US$300 off the retail price and gets you a phone worth much more than that.
Gaming phones have become sort of a thing last year and several other companies have joined the fray. I’m not sure if they’ve hit mainstream status just yet but there is certainly a market for such a device. ASUS,
The Razer Phone 2 is also getting updated to Android 9.0 Pie. The update to Android 9.0 Pie brings OS enhancements like gesture-based navigation with Google Assistant, interactive app functionality and search, battery life optimization, privacy features including background app controls, access to digital well-being, and video recording in 4k at 60fps.
The new update is being delivered via an over-the-air (OTA) update to open market Razer Phone 2 devices. While the rollout started on February 27th, if you picked up your Razer Phone 2 from a carrier, you may have to wait a bit longer for the carrier specific build. Full details about the update can be found on the Razer support site.
Check out some of the specifications and features of the Razer Phone 2 below:
- Processor & Cooling: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 845 (2.80 GHz) with Adreno 630 GPU, Vapor Chamber Cooling
- System Memory: 8 GB (LPDDR4X)
- Storage – Internal: 64 GB UFS
- Storage – External: SIM + micro SD slot (up to 1TB)
- Display: 5.72-inch IGZO LCD 1440 x 2560 120 Hz, Wide Color Gamut, UltraMotion™ Technology, Corning Gorilla Glass 5, Multi-touch,
- Rear Cameras
- 12 MP AF f1.75 Wide with OIS
- 12 MP AF f2.6 Telephoto, Dual PDAF (Phase detection Autofocus), Dual tone, dual LED flash
- Video: Up to 4K video recording with stereo audio
- Front Camera: 8 MP FF f2.0, 1080p Video
- Sound: Stereo front-facing speakers, Dual Amplifiers / Dolby Atmos Technology, USB-C to 3.5 mm Audio Adapter with 24-bit DAC
- Power: 4,000 mAh Li-Po battery, Qualcomm QuickCharge 4.0+
Wireless Fast Charging
- Wireless: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Dual-band (MIMO), Antennae 2×2, Bluetooth 5.0
- Logo: RGB Illuminated Razer Chroma Logo
- GSM: 850/900/1800/1900
- FDD-LTE: 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/14/17/18/19/20/26/28/29/30/32/66/71
- TDD LTE: 38/39/40/41/48
- TD-SCDMA: 34/39
- LAA: 46
- 4×4 MIMO: 1/2/3/4/7/30/38/48/66
- Speeds: Up to 1.2 Gbit/s (Cat18)
- Water Resistance: IP67
- Size: 158.5 mm x 78.99 mm x 8.5 mm
- Android Version: Android 9.0
While gaming phones aren’t for everyone, there is a market out there and this phone is one of the better ones on the market. For the price, we think this is a pretty good deal for what you’re getting under the hood. The physical design is probably not for everyone but you may overlook that given the US$300 discount. This sale starts today, March 1st, and ends March 31st, 2019.
What do you think of the Razer Phone 2? Are you going to pick this up at its sale price? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter, or Facebook. You can also comment on our MeWe page by joining the MeWe social network.
*Disclosure: The links used in this article are affiliate links.
Last Updated on