Some rather interesting news over the weekend, Canon, Samsung, HP and Xerox have formed the Mopria Alliance a global non-profit membership organization formed to promote, simplify and increase accessibility of wireless printing from smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. Canon’s press release said the following about this alliance.
The Mopria Alliance aims to bring together the mobile, software and print industries with the goal of aligning to standards that make printing universally compatible from any mobile device to any printer anywhere. The Mopria Alliance will focus on:
- Breaking down barriers between brands by eliminating the need for users to download multiple print drivers
- Creating a better—easier and more accessible—user experience for mobile printing
- Introducing the Mopria brand and using the brand as a vehicle to educate consumers and businesses on the ease-of-use of mobile printing
- Influencing the development and adoption of standards for mobile printing
- Providing an open environment and tools for software developers to incorporate print into mobile applications
By standardizing mobile printing technologies, the Mopria Alliance will enable mobile app developers and other industry players to focus resources on innovation and new features beyond maintaining basic print functions.
This is hopefully a step in the right direction to streamlining the user experience when it comes to mobile printing, hit the link below to check out the Mopria Alliance.
Last Updated on