A few sources are reporting that Facebook is currently developing a “sympathy” button in those cases where a “Like” is “inappropriate”. The “Like” button can be seen as a negative thing if used on posts announcing dire or saddening news. But really, if we are really that concerned with the person shouldn’t we give them a call, send them a card or even post some encouraging words on their post. Facebook is paving the way for disconnected relationships for sure. Hit the links below for sources.
Photo from NYMag
- Report: Facebook to develop a sympathy button (bizjournals.com)
- Facebook may soon add ‘Sympathy’ button (thinkdigit.com)
- Sympathy can’t be reduced to a Facebook button | Melissa Bradshaw (theguardian.com)
- Facebook considers introducing ‘sympathise’ button for sad updates (gadgets.ndtv.com)
- Facebook developers experiment with “sympathy” button (slashgear.com)
- New FB button (kristinmbehr.wordpress.com)
- Facebook’s ‘sympathise’ button makes me want to vomit (telegraph.co.uk)
- Facebook considers adding “Sympathize” button (siliconangle.com)
Last Updated on January 23, 2017.