Google I/O 2014 has come and gone and one of the hot announcements to come from it was Android Wear. We knew it was coming and Google did not disappoint. Those who were present at the conference were rewarded with their choice of a Samsung Gear Live or LG G Watch. Of course, with anything like this, you have early adopters who want to get in on the action, and some attendees who either don’t need or want the device, or want to make a little profit. For that reason, you can go to eBay and order these watches.
Now, there has been a lot said about these watches and I am sure that over the coming days I will be adding to the noise. I just wanted to take a brief moment to explain how to get the watch working. You see, it’s pretty standard if you are familiar with Bluetooth and peripherals. However, with Android Wear you have to have the accompanying app or it will not work.
The app in Question is called Android Wear but you will find after doing a search that it is not available in the Play Store. The app has not been fully released yet. In order to get to the app in the Play Store you need to be added to a whitelist group that all of the folks present at Google I/O were added to automatically. Here’s how:
- Join the preview group here with the Google account your Play Store account is associated with
- Download the Google Wear app here
- To ensure that everything is working properly you need to be on the most up to date versions of Play services and Google Search
- Go here to join the tester group for Google Play Services and here to download the app (it should update automatically though)
- Go here to join the tester group for Google Search and here to download the app (again it should update)
- (Optional) You can use Google Keep with Android Wear for the “Take a note” command and you should join the tester group here and download the app here
Once you have done all that you should be able to fire up your Android Wear Device and connect to your phone via bluetooth, then connecting to the Wear app by following the on-screen instructions.
Now go Wear it out.