Xbox has announced the Xbox One August Update Preview 1408 will start rolling out soon to Xbox users in the preview program. Last month, Xbox launched Xbox Feedback to allow users and gamers to give feedback for future updates to the Xbox One console. Some of the upcoming features are based on the feedback Xbox received, showing that Xbox is increasingly listening to it’s consumer base and taking their feedback into consideration.
The listed updates in the August Update Preview are:
- Activity feed updates: We’re adding new ways for you to interact with friends in the activity feed. The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. We’ll add the ability to post text to your feed, and to “like” and comment on feed items. You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publically (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). You’ll also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and “like” specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates).
- Expanded Friends area on Home: Right from Home, see what’s going on with your friends. Stay up-to-date with their current activity, the top trending games your friends are playing, and a leaderboard to see who has been working the hardest on their Gamerscore. We’re doing an extended preview on this, rolling it into the early access preview this month to a subset of our preview audience so we can refine it until it’s ready for the entire Xbox One market.
- Mobile purchase: One of the most requested features on Xbox Feedback. Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content. No more waiting to begin downloading when you get home – if your console is set to automatically take updates, your console will begin downloading your purchase.
- Low battery notification: You asked for it, now a notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low.
- Disable notifications during video: Adding the ability to turn off notifications based feedback we heard from you.
- Enabling 3D Blu-ray: An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One.
- OneGuide in Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland: Live TV listings can be configured for four new countries as part of this month’s Preview program. And now there is an OneGuide Issue Reporter available under the TV & OneGuide settings, Troubleshooting section.
- Last seen time in Friends list: Direct from Xbox Feedback, the friends list will now show how long it’s been since a friend has been online. For example, “Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5.”
Activity Feed and Friends List updates are always welcome, but mobile purchasing – and automatic purchase download – is a feature that many users have been requesting for some time. Given the download times for some games and updates, it will be convenient to be able to make your purchase using the SmartGlass app or Xbox.com and have it installed and ready to play by the time you get home.
Another feature missing since launch was the ability to play 3D Blu-ray discs. This functionality was announced when the Xbox One was first introduced but was never implemented. No further updates were given on this issue since the launch of the console. For some, this is another welcome update as they will now be able to shelve their existing 3D Blu-ray players.
If you’re one of the lucky ones in the Xbox Update Preview program, you can expect to see this update rolling out next week – everyone else will have to wait until sometime in August to gain access to these new features.[button link=”http://news.xbox.com/2014/07/xbox-one-august-preview-update” icon=”fa-external-link” side=”left” target=”blank” color=”285b5e” textcolor=”ffffff”]Source: Xbox Wire[/button]
Last Updated on November 27, 2018.