With the Xbox One October update public release out of the way, Xbox has announced new features coming to the console in their November update. Those Xbox Live members who are part of the Xbox One preview program should start seeing the preview dashboard rolling out as soon as today.
One of the biggest features that many users have been requesting – #1 according to Xbox – is the ability to use custom backgrounds on your dashboard. Don’t get too excited yet though as initially you’ll only be able to set a custom color or use unlocked achievement art as your background, with other options coming soon. Profiles are getting an update as well. Users will be able to share their location as well as a short bio. The November update will also introduce a “Showcase” feature for your gamer profile, allowing you to pin up to 6 achievements or game clips to your profile that will be displayed when people view your profile.
Xbox is also introducing direct sharing to Twitter of your game clips – we can only hope that Facebook, Google+ and other social media sharing will follow suit.
In keeping with the spirit of one device for your living room, there will be updates to the TV app as well in the form of TV trending. The updated OneGuide app will display TV Trending in two separate tabs, the first being Twitter TV Trending (what’s trending across Twitter), and Xbox/Live TV Trending (what’s trending across Xbox users). Tweets from live TV shows will display in real time in the MiniGuide so you can follow along with trending Twitter hashtags for popular live TV Shows.
More improvements are coming to the Store, SmartGlass app, the Internet Explorer app, My Stats, and the Leaderboards.
What features are you excited for the most in the November update? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook, Google+, or Twitter!
Check out the complete list of features courtesy of Xbox Wire below.
[button type=”link” link=”http://news.xbox.com/2014/10/xbox-one-november-preview” variation=”btn-danger” target=”blank”]Source: Xbox Wire[/button]
Show Who You Are – Some of the most requested features being released this month include the ability to customize your Xbox One background and showcase and share some of your favorite achievements and game clips.
- Custom Backgrounds – The #1 fan-requested feature is making its initial debut for preview members. For the first time, each account on your Xbox One can have a customized background. You can choose a custom color or achievement art as your background on Xbox One, with more customization options coming down the road.
- Gamer Profile – You can now share your location and bio as part of your profile. You can set these options on your Xbox One console and use Xbox One SmartGlass to browse to other people’s profiles and check out their showcase items. Additionally, you can now select a set of showcase items that are displayed when other gamers look at your profile on an Xbox One console. You can use Xbox One SmartGlass or Xbox One console to add or remove up to six game clips or achievements that will be displayed in a carousel format.
- Tweet about your Favorite Game Clips – You can now share your favorite Xbox One game clips with your followers on Twitter. Use the Share button on any game clip you have created and select Twitter to compose the Tweet.
A New Way to Watch TV – With new Live TV and Twitter integration, you can discover new shows to love and see what people are saying on Twitter about shows in real-time.
- Live TV Trending – Starting today for preview members in the U.S., Canada and the UK, a new tab will be available in OneGuide that displays the top 20 most watched TV shows, with the list filtered down to the shows that are currently available to you based on your OneGuide settings. The Live TV Trending list is updated by the minute, so you can easily discover shows that are popular with other viewers. The Trending tab in OneGuide is updated to display Twitter – Live TV trending first and Xbox – Live TV Trending second. You can tune to a specific show by pressing the A button.
- Twitter TV Trending – New this month in preview, you can see what Live TV is trending based on shows with the most conversations taking place on Twitter. Twitter TV Trending will initially be available to preview members in the U.S.
- Xbox TV Trending – The Trending tab in OneGuide is updated to display Twitter trending first and Xbox – Live TV Trending second. Xbox – Live TV Trending is based on the number of Xbox One owners currently watching that show in each country, pulled from anonymous data collected at a national level.
- Tweets in MiniGuide – See the actual tweets for the Live TV shows in real time and quickly find the Twitter #hashtag to join the conversation.
- Recents and Favorites in MiniGuide – MiniGuide has been updated to include your favorite TV channels in a combined Recents and Favorites area and MiniGuide can now be activated via voice by saying “Xbox Select – MiniGuide” while watching TV.
Store improvements and SmartGlass updates – We are also excited to roll out these cool features:
- Store improvements – The Store pages on Xbox One have been improved to enable you to more quickly browse and find content. The navigation buttons were moved to the far left so you can find them easier. You can also more quickly find game add-ons, perform store specific searches and recommendations are more prominently displayed. Finally, store categories have been standardized so you can easily see the top items in each query at a glance.
- Friends’ Game Activity on SmartGlass – You can now see a list of your friends that have played a given game within the Xbox One SmartGlass experience.
- Games with Gold & Deals with Gold on SmartGlass – For gamers with an Xbox Live Gold subscription, you can browse “Free Games with Gold” and discounted content with Gold and initiate download of the content to your Xbox One console from your mobile device.
- SmartGlass Store Improvements – We added a new section for Apps to make it easier to find and download apps for your Xbox One, as well as adding a Coming Soon filter for Games and Add Ons to make it easier to see upcoming Xbox One releases sorted by anticipated release date.
Internet Explorer updates – There are a few improvements Internet Explorer available this month:
- Snap IE – From the Address Bar in Internet Explorer, you can now easily snap from a full screen experience and move Internet Explorer into snap mode.
- Featured sites – Now, Internet Explorer will show a number when something is newly-added to featured sites. Newly-added sites will also display a badge until you launch them or seven days have passed since the site was added to the Featured list.
Updates to the Preview dashboard app – We’re gamifying the Preview dashboard. Here are some new features we are adding:
- My Stats – If you are in the Preview program, you will now earn points for providing feedback, including points for completing Quests, Surveys, Quick Poll questions, and rating the update. These will be shared in the Preview dashboard under My Stats. The more points you get, the more you level up, and the more rewards you’ll earn. Keep checking back for special bonus point opportunities.
- Leaderboard – We’re also adding a leaderboard that shows how you stack up against your friends based on the points you have earned. If you don’t have friends in the Preview program, we’ll show how you stack up against others in the program. Keep checking back – more things are coming to the My Stats page soon.
Last Updated on November 27, 2018.