Nintendo has announced that several classic Donkey Kong titles are now available on the Nintendo eShop. Donkey Kong Land, Donkey Kong Land 2, and Donkey Kong Land III have been added to the 3DS’ Virtual Console, while the Wii U gets Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest, and Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble.
Previously, Donkey Kong Country (and only Donkey Kong Country) was available for purchase and play on the Wii Virtual Console starting on February 19, 2007 in North America. It was available until being delisted on November 16, 2012.
In celebration of classic titles being added, Nintendo is offering what they are calling a “Donkey Kong Knock-out Offer.” By purchasing one or more of the Donkey Kong titles from the eShop, you’ll also get 30% off of your purchase of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze on the Wii U or Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D on the 3DS. The offer is available now until March 3 at 8:59pm PST.
Check out details on each game below in case you somehow haven’t played them yet, as well as a trailer for DK’s return to the Virtual Console from Nintendo.
Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS
- Donkey Kong Land – Making a bet with Cranky Kong is never wise. In this Game Boy adventure, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong must set off on another adventure to retrieve their banana hoard from the evil K. Rool’s clutches. Swing, roll, jump and barrel blast through four worlds that are swarming with returning and original enemies.
- Donkey Kong Land 2 – K. Rool has kidnapped Donkey Kong and he’s demanding the entire banana hoard as ransom! In this Game Boy classic, play as either Diddy Kong or Dixie Kong and take advantage of their unique abilities in more than 40 levels of nonstop platforming action. Keep an eye out for some friendly faces (and some shiny collectibles) to help you out.
- Donkey Kong Land III – Dixie Kong has been left behind to babysit her younger cousin, Kiddy Kong. But that won’t stop her from seeking adventure in this Game Boy game. Help Dixie Kong and Kiddy Kong through 36 Kremling-infested levels, each containing secret areas, bonus levels and collectibles. Maybe they’ll even find the entrance to the hidden Lost World!
Virtual Console on Wii U
- Donkey Kong Country – Armed with chest-pounding muscle, mighty barrel rolls and awesome vine-swinging skills, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong set out to face K. Rool and his reptilian crew of Kremlings in this Super NES masterpiece! Play solo, compete with a friend or play cooperatively with a friend in more than 100 levels filled with collectibles and hidden bonus areas. With the help of Donkey Kong’s quirky family, animal friends and your fast reflexes, our dynamic duo will prove to be an unstoppable force.
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest– Donkey Kong has been kidnapped and taken to Crocodile Isle. Only Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong can save the day. In this Super NES sequel to the Donkey Kong Countrygame, play solo, compete with a friend or tag team with a friend in eight exciting worlds filled with wacky characters, collectable items and secret bonus areas.
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble – Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong have gone missing! In this Super NES adventure, play as Dixie Kong or Kiddy Kong solo, against a friend or with a friend. Take advantage of each of their unique abilities as they throw each other into action through more than 40 levels.
Last Updated on November 27, 2018.