While USB Type-C is slowly becoming the norm, there are still plenty of devices that utilize Micro-USB. We’ve previously reviewed a couple of reversible Micro-USB options, but dodocool has something a little different up their sleeves. We’ve reviewed a few items from dodocool in the past and our dodocool Magnetic Charge Sync Cable review takes a look at a two piece Micro-USB cable that makes it easier on your Micro-USB ports when frequently charging over them.
The dodocool Magnetic Charge Sync Cable has the following features and specifications:
- Reversible Adsorption: Reversible design makes it easy to attach the cable to the connector at the right direction every time, more convenient for charging or data syncing.
- Detachable & Rapid Magnetic Connection: It takes only 0.5 seconds for you to snap on or reconnect the cable. Perfect for reducing abrasion during inserting or plugging. The internal LED indicator will show the working status of the cable and light up during charging.
- Strong Magnetic Intensity: With strong magnetism, it provides stable connection during charging and syncing. No need to worry about falling or shaking. The moderate magnetic force will not damage the mobile phone components.
- Dustproof Plug: The magnet connector could be a dustproof plug and prolong the life of your device. In addition, it can reduce the damage of your Micro-USB port by preventing frequent plugging and pulling.
- Ultra Durable: Adopt OFC cores, TPE interlayer and braided Nylon jacket, the 3.9ft cable is more durable, flexible and tangle-free than standard cables.
- Material: OFC + TPE + Nylon
- Color: Silver
- LED indicator light color: Blue
- Connection interface: 1 x USB 2.0 connector, 1 x Micro-USB connector
- Data transmission speed: 480Mbps (Max.)
- Input voltage: DC 5V
- Output voltage: DC 5V
- Input current: 2400mAh (Max.)
- Conversion rate: Approx. 90%-96%
- Compatibility: For Micro-USB equipped Huawei, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Nexus, Nokia, LG, Sony, Blackberry, smartphones, tablets, MP3 players, power banks and more.
- Item length: Approx. 3.9ft/1.2m
- Item weight: Approx. 0.71oz/20g
What’s in the box
- 3.9ft/1.2m Magnetic Micro USB Cable with LED Indicator
- Instruction Manual
The dodocool Magnetic Charge Sync Cable consists of two pieces. The first is a 1.2m (3.9′) silver nylon braided cable with a USB Type-A connector on one end and a magnetic end on the other. On the top and bottom side of the magnetic end is a small blue LED light which lights up when properly connected and charging.
The second piece is a small Micro-USB nub. The connector on the nub protrudes out a bit and connects to a small receptacle in the cable.
The cable itself is quite nice and is more pliable than plastic cables and doesn’t tangle up as much either. The USB connector is encased in a metal shell for added durability and the small nub is also constructed out of metal with a magnet inside for easy connection to the cable.
Personally I would have liked to see the receptacle placed inside the Micro-USB nub and the extended protruding connector on the cable portion. The primary reason for wanting this is that when connected to a device, the nub sticks out a bit further and it’s possible that it may get caught on something and damaged. On the other hand, the connector on the cable is where the pins are located so it’s likely the design is the way it is to prevent damage to the pins if they were in the component attached to the smartphone.
Ease of Use
The dodocool Magnetic Charge Sync Cable is super easy to use. Simply seat the Micro-USB nub into the Micro-USB port on your smartphone, tablet, game controller, or any other device that uses a Micro-USB cable to charge. When inserted into your device, the nub extends out just over 1/8″ from the edge of your device. Next, plug the cable into your USB-A wall outlet and connect the magnetic end to the Micro-USB nub in your device and you’re good to go. The magnet is quite strong and you can feel the cable start to pull towards the nub from about 1 1/2″ away. Disconnecting the cable from your device is as easy as grasping the end connected to your device and gently tilting the cable up or down.
Once seated, the Micro-USB nub takes a bit of work to get out which means it’s not going to just fall out from daily use of your device.
I tested charging a few different devices — a smartphone, a tablet, and an Xbox One controller — and they all charged as expected.
As mentioned above, once placed into the Micro-USB port on your device, the nub is fairly difficult to get out. This is a great setup as it will remain seated in your device and if you have kids that are constantly charging their devices this is a great system that prevents them from having to try and jam their Micro-USB cable into a device every time they need to charge it. The simple magnetic connector works both ways, and it’s super simple to use and adds extra protection by not having a cable being attached — sometimes attempted upside down as is the case with Micro-USB — and removed over and over.
The dodocool Magnetic Charge Sync Cable sells for $15.99USD on Amazon. dodocool has been kind enough to send us a code that will get our readers 20% off if you order it before February 28th, which definitely brings the price down. Simply enter code RHINK5UA during the checkout process to get your 20% off which brings the price down to roughly $12.80.
Given the quality and easy of use, the cable is a pretty decent deal considering the potential cost of repairing a Micro-USB port, not to mention the convenience of having it snap right onto your device for easy charging. It would be nice if there was a purchase option for extra Micro-USB nubs or even a 2-pack cable with 2 or 4 nubs so you could use it with multiple devices.
If you’re looking for an easy to use, reversible Micro-USB charging solution that has the added bonus of protecting your Micro-USB port, you should check out the dodocool Magnetic Charge Sync Cable.
*We were sent a sample of the dodocool Magnetic Charge Sync Cable for the purposes of this review.
Last Updated on February 20, 2017.