While network-attached storage (NAS) is primarily used in business settings, Drobo has offered more affordable small office and connected home NAS solutions for many years. Earlier this week, the company announced the next iteration of their Drobo 5N device — the five bay Drobo 5N2. Using Drobo’s BeyondRAID technology that duplicates data and allows you to swap out failed hard drives on the fly without data loss, the 5N2 features two Gigabit Ethernet ports and an upgraded processor for increased speed.
“The team at Drobo is working hard to deliver on the commitments we have made to customers, partners and ourselves,” said Mihir Shah, CEO of Drobo. “Our customers have been asking for our enterprise level technology in our 5 bay NAS products and the 5N2 delivers just that, at a cost effective price. We strive to be the storage company that is laser focused on our customer’s requirements.”
As with other Drobo products, the functionality of the 5N2 can be expanded with the use of DroboApps which includes a private cloud solution, mobile picture and video management, and much more. The DroboDR software allows users with two 5N2s to back up their local device with an offsite device, further ensuring the safety of their data.
Features of the new Drobo 5N2 include:
- Two, One Gigabit Ethernet ports for unparalleled performance
- Upgraded processor for increased speed and throughput
- DroboDR, the Simplest to use Disaster Recovery (DR) solution available
- 2x Performance boost over the original 5N with port-bonding enabled
- Internal battery that protects against data loss during a power outage
- Two Year Warranty
- DroboApps for turn-key applications and file management support
- Internal battery back-up for zero data loss during a power outage
- Expandability with any size disk
- Award winning ease of use setup and management dashboard
- mSATA cache for speedy access to frequently used data
- Ability to mix and match any size HDDs and SSDs
Available for $499USD, Drobo is offering a $50 discount for existing Drobo FS and Drobo 5N owners if they purchase a Drobo 5N2 through the Drobo Store by April 4th, 2017.
Last Updated on March 23, 2017.