While your full blown smartwatches tend to get more press, there are a growing number of companies who are manufacturing hybrid watches. NOWA is one such company and has launched a Kickstarter to complete production of their first hybrid watch — the Shaper by NOWA.
The result of a collaboration with artist Eric Gizard, the NOWA watch features automatic time zone changing, activity tracking, sleep tracking, call alerts, camera control, and more. With a thin, refined look, this hybrid watch is just 9.75mm thick and targeted to those who want a great looking watch with minimal smartwatch features.
“Smartwatches are too complicated,” says Eric Gizard, an interior designer and artist from Paris. “I just need a slim watch that makes a fashion statement and automatically sets time when I’m travelling… and nothing else.”
Design features of the NOWA watch include:
- 316L Stainless Steel Case: two refined finishes – brushed and sanded
- Flat Bezel: luxury touch with highly polished finish
- Mineral Glass: anti-scratch Sapphire coating
- Light Indicator: Circle of Light for intelligent features
- Control Pusher: classic crown style
- Solid Metal Indices: intentional minimalism
- Full Grain Italian Leather: comfortable Nubuke lining
- Swiss Parts Movement: smartphone-controlled hands
- Thin Leather Loop: with coated edges that match the strap color
- Stainless Steel Clasp: perfectly matches the case finish
Shaper by NOWA is currently up for grabs on Kickstarter at a price of $99USD for one or $190USD for two — half price off the retail price of $199-$229USD. Four options are currently available including Classic Black, Classic Brown, Dessus Chics, and Trilling.
NOWA is at the final production stage and is hoping to raise $35,000 by April 22nd to complete production of the watch. The project will only be funded if it reaches its goal, which is currently sitting at just under 10% funded (at the time of this article) — not bad for a project that just launched a few hours ago.Back on Kickstarter