Tizen 3.0 has been available on only one smartwatch on the market and that is the Samsung Gear Sport. Today, the Gear S3 Classic and Frontier are receiving the Tizen 3.0 update which includes some new features such as new icons/widget designs, the ability to control your Gear VR via the watch, monitor and manage smart devices, and more. The update is 257.35mb, so it is on the hefty side and may take time to download and install, so feel free to do something else while the the update installs.
What’s new in this update
- Samsung Connect: Monitor and manage smart devices the smarter way with Gear S3
- Gear VR Controller: Easily control your Gear VR right from your wrist with the Gear S3
- PPT Controller: Command the audience and the presentation with the Gear S3 PPT controller
- Watch face: Share your favorite watch face with others and browse for new ones easily
- Samsung Health: Refresh your motivation with our highly improved health app and widgets. Continuous HR monitoring is available now and the multi-workouts widget has been added so you can start your favorite activities faster
- Contacts and Calendar: Create contacts and events right from your wrist with the Gear S3
- Reminder: Receive reminders and alarms created on the paired smartphone
- Safety: Send SOS requests now include altitude for more accurate tracking
- Weather: Briefing containing today’s weather information including temperature difference and the chance of rain or snow
- Handwriting: More languages are supported via language download and update
- Ringtone: Set music saved on the Gear as your ringtone
- Apps: Quickly access your favorite and recent apps using the App shortcuts widget, and edit the ordering method for Apps
- Quick panel: Refreshed layout with more Quick settings
- New icon and widget design
- New partner apps available for download in the Galaxy Apps store
The update has hit my S3 Frontier, but keeps failing about halfway through saying the update failed. After doing a little research, it looks like others are having similar issues too. This could be a small bug or something but eventually people’s Gear S3 watches will update. If you haven’t received the update yet, don’t fret as Samsung might be phasing this update out to people.
Last Updated on November 21, 2017.