After being bought by Nokia in 2016 and recently becoming an independent company again, Withings is back with the Steel HR
The Steel HR Sport is a multisport hybrid smartwatch which offers the usual heart rate monitoring, GPS tracking, and fitness analytics. In addition, it boasts an “unprecedented” 25-day battery life.
“With its advanced sport and health tracking capabilities, Steel HR Sport is a perfect example of how Withings is delivering against its original mission to help better manage health,” said Eric Carreel, CEO of Withings. “
The publicreaction to the return of Withings is extraordinary and renews my belief that elegantly designed devices with health tracking abilities can dramatically improve individual and society’s health.”
With a 40mm 316L stainless steel case with 50M (5ATM) water resistance, the smartwatch can track over 30 different sporting activities, track daily goals, heart rate, sleep tracking, and show smartphone notifications. A first for a Withings device, Fitness Level assessment uses the V02 max fitness indicator to measure “the heart and muscles ability to convert oxygen into energy during physical exercise.”
The full feature list includes:
- Heart rate monitoring: track heart rate continuously during workouts to optimize training, and monitor daily and overnight heart rate to help improve health over time.
- Multi-sport tracking: choose from over 30 activities and initiate workout mode directly from your wrist.
- Connected GPS: launch a running, biking or walking session to have post-workout access to a map of your path plus distance, pace, and elevation.
- Fitness Level: assesses your cardiovascular fitness while running based on V02 Max estimation.
- Water resistant up to 50m (5 ATM).
- Sleep analysis: delivers a Sleep Score based on your light and deep sleep cycles, sleep duration & wake-ups. Set a silent vibrating alarm and set Smart Wake-Up to wake at the optimal point in your sleep cycle.
- Smart notifications: customize alerts to receive vibration plus
previewof text messages, calls, events and apps right on the watch screen.
- 24/7 activity tracking: automatically tracks walk, run, swim, sleep, distance & calories burned.
- Health Mate app: automatically synchronizes with the free app available for Android and iOS, where you can view trends, gain insights & find extra motivation with badges and programs.
- Design: Steel HR Sport comes with a 40mm stainless steel case featuring engraved bezel, matte metallic hands with color accent, mineral glass, and a soft silicon wristband with ventilation holes designed for comfort during workouts.
- Wristbands: Bicolored drilled silicon wristband, 20mm width.
- Connectivity: Bluetooth Low Energy. Must enable Bluetooth connection with location settings to enjoy Connected GPS functionality.
- Battery life: up to 25 days in normal use, up to 5 days in workout mode+20 additional days in power reserve mode (time and activity tracking only).
- Charging time: approximately 2 hours to 100%, about 1 hour to 80%.
- HR measurement using photoplethysmography (PPG), which monitors heart rate using green LED lights to detect variation in the level of blood in the wrist.
- Storage & memory: Free and unlimited online data storage with the Withings account. 5 days of local storage (in the watch) of data between syncs.
- Compatibility: available on iOS (iOS 8 and higher) and Android (6 and higher).
The Steel HR Sport comes with a free Health Mate app for Android and iOS, as well as connects with Google Fit, Apple Health, MyFitnessPal, and other third-party apps.