When I was a kid going shopping meant we all jumped in the car, without our safety belts on, and rumbled down to the mall. These days, online shopping is fast becoming the preferred method of purchasing goods and services. Online shopping offers the freedom to shop when it’s convenient for you plus you never have to leave your house. To get an idea of how big online shopping is just look at Amazon’s record-breaking shopping weekend.
Amazon announced that Cyber Monday was again the company’s biggest shopping day of the year. The company says that more products were ordered worldwide on Cyber Monday than any other day. To top that off, they also announced they sold millions more products between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday. So much more they broke last years sales records. Amazon shoppers ordered more than 18 million toys and more than 13 million fashion items on Black Friday and Cyber Monday combined.
“Black Friday and Cyber Monday continue to break records on Amazon year over year, which tells us that customers love shopping for deals to kick off the holiday shopping season,” stated Jeff Wilke, CEO Worldwide Consumer. “With curated gift guides, convenient shopping experiences, incredible product selection, and free shipping with no minimum purchase amount, Amazon offers customers tremendous value—sure to deliver smiles all season long.”
Here are a few of the highlights Amazon posted regarding their holiday weekend operations:
- Sales by small and medium-sized businesses worldwide grew more than 20 percent on Black Friday year-over-year.
- Throughout the Turkey 5, Amazon.com customers ordered more than 180 million items.
- Prime members got into the Christmas spirit over the holiday weekend—Christmas lights were a bestseller on Prime Now.
- The best-selling products at Amazon 4-star and Amazon Books over the Turkey 5 weekend included the all-new Echo Dot, Becoming by Michelle Obama, the Amazon Smart Plug, and the L.O.L. Surprise Series toys.
- The best-selling products at Amazon Pop-Up device kiosks over the Turkey 5 weekend included the all-new Echo Dot and the Amazon Smart Plug.
- Customers ordered more than four million toys and electronics on the mobile app on Black Friday.
- The best-selling products across Amazon.com on Cyber Monday included the all-new Echo Dot, AncestryDNA: Genetic Testing Ethnicity, Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones for Apple devices, Becoming by Michelle Obama, Jenga, and Instant Pot DUO60 – 6 Quart.