“Computer, ENHANCE!” It’s a popular phrase in more than a few movies, usually involving security personnel. Of course, those of us in the IT industry know what a load of bollocks the enhancements portrayed in movies are. However, with more programs using AI, those Hollywood-level enhancements are getting closer to reality every day.
On that note, Adobe has announced a new feature, Enhance Details, that, while not being able to fully enhance blurry images, does improve upon their demosaic feature to improve
Using Adobe Sensei, which integrates
While demosaic functions work relatively well, advance demosaicing is very computer intensive. By leveraging AI and deep learning, Adobe claims that new feature will give up to 30% resolution on Bayer and X-Trans raw files while having lesser computational requirements. That’s not to say the process will still be super fast but it Enhance Details should offer better and faster results than using the demosaic features.
Adobe has offered up some tips and takeaways, and you can always hit the link below for the full technical breakdown of how Enhance Details and Adobe Sensei work to clarify your images.
- Enhance Details requires Apple’s Core ML and Microsoft’s Windows ML, so it won’t work on older operating systems. Please be sure to update to macOS 10.13 or Win 10 (1809) or later.
- Enhance Details requires intensive processing, and it can take some time to do its work.
- Faster GPU means faster results. An eGPU (external GPU) can make a big difference.
- You’ll find Enhance Details most effective on the following image types:
- Images that you want to print or display at a large size.
- Images that display artifacts.
- Images with lots of fine detail.
Enhance Details should now be available in Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic, and Lightroom CC.Source: Adobe