It’s incredible, but most college kids today can’t remember a time without the modern internet! They’ve grown up with conveniences like Google Maps and Siri and can’t imagine life without them. Luckily for them, smart tech has expanded from just smartphones and can now be found in our cars, our watches, and our homes as well.
Smart home tech allows us to save money on heating costs by automating to fit our schedules or to use an app instead of keys to unlock the front door. Not only have smart home technology startups enabled homeowners to automate many actions, but they also allow homes to be safer and more energy efficient than ever before.
Some of the biggest game-changers in the smart home tech industry never made it out of the startup phase, but nevertheless, they changed the way we think about the possibilities of smart tech.
- The Nest Learning Thermostat, which programs itself to the user’s home schedule in order to save energy.
- August Smart Locks, which allow homeowners to grant “virtual” keys via the app to visitors.
- The Jibo Personal Assistant Robot, which although failed, demonstrated amazing potential for AI assistants in the future.
So, what does the future hold for smart home tech? If the past is anything to go on, future inventions will help uphold several key aspects of human nature that makes smart tech so appealing to us. These include:
- Connectivity – when our devices talk to one another, it makes things easier for us.
- Convenience – anything that allows us to check items off the to-do list is something we will invest money in.
- Control – this doesn’t mean a total surrender to the machines, but being able to control things at a more granular level than ever before.
- Coolness – there’s no denying it; smart home tech is really cool and this bragging factor is a valuable investment
Take a look at the graphic from The Zebra below to learn about the top 12 smart home tech startups that have disrupted the industry and shaped the way we view the future of the Internet of Things (IoT).
Last Updated on