Pink Floyd is a legendary progressive rock band who changed the face of music with the amazing Dark Side of the Moon album. The band originally consisted of Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, Nick Mason, and Richard Wright. In the very late 60’s into the early 70’s David Gilmour replaced Barrett and then Waters left in the early ’80s. The band carried on into the ’90s but eventually, Richard Wright passed on and the end of Pink Floyd had come. Now, the band is releasing a major box set dubbed, The Later Years.
The Later Years is a 16-disc collection spanning the time David Gilmour was the main leader of the band. The collection houses the band’s studio LPs and live albums as well as live performances, concert films, and unreleased rare material.
This new Pink Floyd box set is set to be released November 29th but you can pre-order it now on the band’s website. But this won’t be cheap by any stretch as it will set you back US$454.98 just for the box set. You can also add apparel items to the order which will kick the price up between US$479.98 and US$524.98.
The Later Years is certainly intended for the hardcore Pink Floyd fan with some disposable income. Here’s a rundown of what you’ll get if you just order The Later Years box set:
- CDs: 5 x CDs, contained in their own 60-page, hardback book, containing a guide to all content, track listings, exhaustive content detail and credits.
- CD 1: A Momentary Lapse of Reason Updated & Remixed 51 mins
- CD 2 & 3: Delicate Sound Of Thunder Remixed 140 mins
- CD 4: Live Recordings, 1987 & 1994 Unreleased Studio Recordings 65 mins
- CD 5: Knebworth Concert 1990 57 mins
- Blu-rays: 6 x Blu-rays, each contained in a gatefold wallet with dedicated cover art, including track listings and music publishing credits. Discs contained in protective plastic sleeves inside the wallet.
- Blu-ray 1: Surround & Hi-res Audio Mixes 152 mins
- Blu-ray 2: Delicate Sound Of Thunder Restored & Remixed 120 mins
- Blu-ray 3: Pulse Restored & Re-edited 145 mins
- Blu-ray 4: Venice Concert 1989 & Knebworth Concert 1990 147 mins
- Blu-ray 5: Unreleased Live Films Music Videos & Concert Screen Films 154 mins
- Blu-ray 6: Documentaries & Unreleased Material 122 mins
- DVD: 5 x DVDs (duplicating the content of Blu-rays 2-6 above), each contained in a gatefold wallet with dedicated cover art, including track listings and music publishing credits.
- 7” Singles: 2 x 7” vinyl singles in brand-new picture sleeves, featuring Arnold Layne performed live by Pink Floyd at the Syd Barrett Tribute concert, 2007 and Lost For Words from the Pulse tour rehearsals at Earl’s Court.
- Photo Book: 60-page hard backed book of photos designed by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis and Peter Curzon of StormStudios, including many previously unseen images.
- Replica Tour Programmes and Lyric Book: A newly-created set of reproduction tour programs (Pink Floyd World Tour 1987/1988, Pink Floyd Live 1989, Pink Floyd European Tour 1994), plus a brand new Lyrics Book, designed by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis and Peter Curzon of StormStudios.
- Memorabilia: A collection of reproduction memorabilia including tour passes, stickers, and posters, all printed to replicate the originals, and contained in a prestige card envelope.
While that price tag is massive, there is a lot of value there for many. So if you’re itching to get some new Pink Floyd stuff, The Later Years is it.