Video doorbells are pretty commonplace these days. For the most part, they do a decent job of capturing the comings and goings at your front door. The all-new Arlo Video Doorbell offers users an even better view with its new industry-leading vertical field-of-view. Where most video doorbells capture in a widescreen format, the new Arlo Video Doorbell captures footage in a square aspect ratio, capturing full views of packages and visitors.
UPDATED (01/20/2020): Not only has Arlo added Amazon Alexa compatibility with the Arlo Video Doorbell, but they’re also offering up $50 to ditch your existing smart doorbell for theirs!
Between now and March 31st, those interested in purchasing an Arlo Video Doorbell from Arlo.com can apply the “Doorbell50” coupon code at checkout indicating they will be trading in a doorbell (eligible models include brands such as Ring, SimpliSafe, Eufy, Nest, and more). Arlo will then provide a pre-paid shipping label with their purchase shipment to then send their exchanged doorbell back to Arlo, which must be received within 30 days of their purchase of the Arlo Video Doorbell. See here for the program’s terms and conditions.Arlo
“We engineered the Arlo Video Doorbell with an array of advanced alert and picture quality features to help homeowners identify and engage with visitors even before they knock. To ensure a visitor is never missed, we went above and beyond industry standards to create an innovative solution that delivers a fuller vertical field-of-view so users can see more from their front door, from head to toe.”Tejas Shah, SVP Product and Chief Information Officer
The extra-wide, 180-degree field of view allows users to see their entire doorstep. As with other offerings, users can also remotely answer their doorbell from virtually anywhere. Unlike many other doorbells, the Arlo Video Doorbell starts sending the live HD video stream directly to a user’s smartphone as soon as the doorbell is pressed. This eliminates the delay of having to open notifications, open the app, and initiate the video call. In addition, the doorbell offers up pre-recorded, quick-reply messages for even easier interaction.
Key features of the Arlo Video Doorbell include:
- Optimized front entry view – industry-leading vertical field-of-view with an optimized 1:1 aspect ratio
- Motion detection and alerts – receive alerts when motion is detected
- Video call – calls your phone directly so you never miss a visitor
- Quick reply messages – pre-recorded messages to quickly reply to visitors
- Night vision – see who’s at your door at night, even without a light on
- HD video – capture vivid detail in bright and dark areas with HDR
- Zoom – zoom in on a subject while on a live video call
- Silent mode – disables push notifications and silences chime
- Weather-resistant design – designed to withstand heat, cold, rain or sun
- Tamper detection – siren can be triggered if someone attempts to remove the doorbell
Priced at US$149.99, the latest Arlo Video Doorbell is available for pre-order at Best Buy and other authorized Arlo resellers. The doorbell includes a three-month trial subscription to Arlo Smart, the company’s AI subscription-based service. After the trial, the service starts at $2.99/mth with various options available. We don’t have word of an actual release for the device yet but will let you know when we do.
Last Updated on February 3, 2021.