Cable TV just got real interesting in the U.S. after rumours started floating around earlier today. Those rumours have now been confirmed in a YouTube blog post: YouTube TV will bring cable TV — including live sports — to U.S. households in the near future.
With more users cutting cable and turning to other methods of finding and consuming their content, YouTube’s new service offers an entirely legal way to get shows from networks like ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN, and more for a fraction of the cost of traditional cable TV, and with no commitment. For $35/month, subscribers get access to cable TV on mobile, tablet, or computers, cloud DVR, YouTube Red Originals, and six accounts all for $35/month. Those that want more can get Fox Sports Plus and Showtime for an additional charge.
While there are some notable networks missing, it’s definitely a decent start for those that are just after basic networks. If you’re wondering exactly what YouTube TV has to offer, you can check out some of the features below:
- Live TV streaming from ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN, regional sports networks and dozens of popular cable networks. YouTube TV gives you the best of live TV, from must-see broadcast shows like “Empire,” “The Voice,” “The Big Bang Theory” and “Scandal,” to the live sports you want. YouTube TV includes major sports networks like ESPN and regional sports networks like Fox Sports Networks and Comcast SportsNet, so you can watch your favorite NBA or MLB teams. We’ve also partnered with local TV stations, so you’ll also get sports and local news based on where you live. And YouTube TV offers dozens of additional cable channels, so you won’t miss out on the latest news from MSNBC or Fox News, popular shows and movies from USA or FX, kids programming from the Disney Channel or Sprout, or reality TV from E! or Bravo. You can also add Showtime, or Fox Soccer Plus to your networks for an additional charge. In total, YouTube TV gives you access to more than 40 networks, listed below.
- A cloud DVR, with no storage limits. With YouTube TV, you’ll be able to record live TV and never run out of storage. Your cloud DVR can record as many shows as you want, simultaneously, without using precious data or space on your phone and we’ll store each of your recordings for nine months.
- A service that works great on all your screens. You can watch YouTube TV on any screen—mobile, tablet or computer—and you can easily stream to your TV with a Google Chromecast or Chromecast built-in TV. YouTube TV works on both Android and iOS. And your cloud DVR goes with you, so you can stream your recordings on any device, whenever and wherever you want.
- YouTube Red Originals. With a YouTube TV membership, you can watch all of our YouTube Red Original series and movies right on the new YouTube TV app.
- Six accounts, one price. Every YouTube TV membership comes with six accounts, each with its own unique recommendations and personal DVR with no storage limits. You can watch up to three concurrent streams at a time.
- Half the cost of cable with zero commitments. A YouTube TV membership is only $35 a month and there are no commitments—you can cancel anytime.
What do you think about getting your cable TV through YouTube? Will you be looking into it once it’s available in your area? Let us know in the comments below or on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.