When you hear or think of “bionic hand,” do you think about Luke Skywalker getting a robotic hand after getting his chopped off by Darth Vader? No? Must just be me then. A company called the Steeper Group based in Leeds UK, who specialize in prosthetics, orthotics, and assistive technology have created the “bebionic” right hand for Nicky Ashwell, a 26 year old from London.
The bionic hand was created with the same tech Formula 1 cars have, to make a skeletal hand with small parts so it’s not to big for the user. A total of 337 mechanical components are used in the bebionic hand. Steeper Group states it’s the most “anatomically accurate” prosthetic hand available and it has an “unrivalled level of precision and natural movements.” It copies the capabilities of a real hand with 14 different precision grips. There are sensors activated by muscles in the arm to make the hand move along with each finger having its own motor to move by itself.
Some features the bebionic hand include:
- Powerful microprocessors, which are constantly monitoring the position of each finger giving you reliable control over hand movements.
- Proportional speed control gives you precision control over delicate tasks, so you can pick up an egg or hold a polystyrene cup as easily as crushing an empty can.
- Bebalance software that can be managed, monitored and configured wirelessly.
- Four Wrist option (Quick Disconnect, Multi-Flex, Flexion and Short Wrist) that have their own functionality.
- Durable construction makes the bebionic strong enough to handle up to 45kg (99lbs) so you can carry heavy objects.
Other than my bad joke, what do you think about this new “anatomically accurate” prosthetic hand? Think it’ll be the next big thing for those who use prosthetics? Leave a comment below, or on Google+, Facebook, or Twitter.[button link=”http://steepergroup.com/” icon=”fa-external-link” side=”left” target=”blank” color=”285b5e” textcolor=”ffffff”]Source: Steeper Group[/button][button link=”http://gizmodo.com/uk-woman-gets-worlds-most-advanced-bionic-hand-replac-1712900698″ icon=”fa-external-link” side=”left” target=”blank” color=”285b5e” textcolor=”ffffff”]Via: Gizmodo[/button]
Last Updated on November 27, 2018.