A little over two weeks ago, Motorola announced the Moto X Play alongside the Moto G and Moto X Style. While the Moto X Style is only available in the U.S., the Moto X Play is coming to many other countries around the world and most carriers in Canada will begin selling them starting Friday, August 21st. Bell Mobility, Koodo, TELUS and SaskTel will start selling the new device on August 21st, and it will be available at WIND and Videotron in the coming week. At this time it appears that Rogers will not be carrying the device.
Key features of the Moto X Play include:
- Maximum battery and TurboPower™ charging – With a high capacity, 3630 mAh battery, you’ll power through today and well into tomorrow without giving battery life a second thought. And with a TurboPower 15 charger, get eight hours of power in 15 minutes of charging.
- Brilliant photos. Stunning videos – Take beautiful, true-to-life photos thanks to rapid focus 21 MP camera and a dual LED color-balancing flash. The camera automatically captures HDR images, so you get great results in any light. You can even shoot video in HD, and see every detail in stunning 1080p.
- Life in HD – With a vibrant 5.5″ Full HD display, Moto X Play brings photos, videos, and games to life in stunningly beautiful 1080p. View images with incredible realism. Immerse yourself in movies. It’s everything a premium display should be.
- Do it all – Get all the processing power you need for gaming, streaming, and multitasking with the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 615 processor with 1.7 GHz octa-core CPUs.
- Advanced water protection – Water is a phone’s worst enemy. That’s why Moto X Play is designed with a water-repellent coating to protect it from the inside out. Never let spills, splashes, or a little rain stand in your way again.
- Room to grow – Get tons more space for pictures, videos, music, and apps with an optional microSD card (up to 128 GB).
Full specifications of the phone are pretty decent as well:
- 1.7GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 615 Octa-core CPU
- Adreno 405 @ 550 MHz GPU
- 5.5″ 1080p FHD screen @409ppi
- 2GB RAM
- 16GB ROM
- microSD card slot (up to 128GB)
- 3630 mAh battery
- 21MP rear camera, 5MP front camera
If you’re interested in picking one up, be sure to call up your carrier (sorry Rogers customers!), pricing is expected to be around the $400CAD mark off contract but is carrier dependant.
You may be in luck if you are in the U.S. though (assuming you can get a phone shipped to you) as the support bands on the Moto X Play include GSM (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) and 4G LTE (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 28) which should cover most U.S. carrier GMS bands and also T-Mobile’s LTE bands (2, 4, 12) and AT&T’s LTE bands (2, 4, and 17).
What do you think about the Moto X Play? Thinking about picking one up? Let us know in the comments below, or on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.
Last Updated on November 27, 2018.