Star Wars Battlefront fans have just received a disappointing piece of news. On an earnings call late last week, EA indicated that there are no plans for content for the game outside of the original trilogy. When asked about how they might leverage the Star Wars: The Force Awakens phenomenon in the game, EA stated that they had no plans to include such content in the current Star Wars Battlefront game expansion packs, and gave pretty good reason.
“You can’t make a game in ’Star Wars’ that violates the canon of ‘Star Wars,’ ” EA finance chief Blake Jorgensen said. “Meaning, you can’t take something from the future and bring it back into the past unless it’s a reference.”
In addition, this also goes for the prequel trilogy as well — but that’s probably all well, I mean who really wants to run around Endor as Jar-Jar Binks? This doesn’t mean all hope is lost though at possibly seeing Rey, Poe, Finn, or other characters in Battlefront. Jorgensen indicated that newer characters could show up in future Star Wars Battlefront games.
“We’re trying to stay tightly connected to the ‘Star Wars’ beat for future movies, and we will obviously in future Star Wars games be able to tap the new characters and vehicles and so forth,” Mr. Jorgensen said.
What do you think about EA’s decision? Let us know in the comments below, or on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.
Last Updated on February 1, 2016.