After debuting a few new series and seasons for returning shows, Netflix is giving some of us a bit of a breather to catch up if we already haven’t. This month introduces us to a new series, as well as a couple comedy specials, documentaries, and a load of new content for kids. Lets check out what’s New on Netflix Canada for August, and if you’re in the U.S., check out what’s new on Netflix there for this month.
Netflix Original Series and Specials
Scream season 2 continues with new episodes weekly, while David Cross makes an appearance in David Cross: Making America Great Again on August 8th. In this comedy special, Cross skewers Donald Trump, religious taboos, and American swagger in a provocative night of comedy. Warning: NSFW language in the trailer below.
The first six episodes of the Netflix Original from Baz Luhrmann, The Get Down, debuts on August 15th. Told through the lives and music of a ragtag crew of South Bronx teens, The Get Down is a mythic saga of the transformation of 1970s New York City.
August 19th sees the release of Fearless, a new documentary which follows a tight-knit group of professional bull riders prove why they’re the best. Finally, Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy return for the comedy special Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy: We’ve Been Thinking… on August 26th.
Netflix Original Films
On August 26th, Netflix subscribers will be able to catch the Netflix Original Film XOXO. Starring Sarah Hyland, Graham Phillips, and Brett DelBuono, XOXO is set amidst the biggest EDM festival in America, and follows six strangers whose lives collide on one frenetic, hopelessly romantic night.
Netflix Original Documentary
EDM fans get another treat in August with the Netflix Original Documentary I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead on August 20th. The documentary takes a compelling look into the life and mind of Steve Aoki, one of dance music’s most hardworking, controversial and captivating characters. Directed by Justin Krook and co-produced by the team behind the critically acclaimed documentary Jiro Dreams of Sushi, I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead follows Aoki on his journey to play the biggest show of his career at Madison Square Garden, while exploring his complex yet loving relationship with his father, Rocky Aoki, former Olympian and founder of the Benihana restaurant empire.
Netflix Original Series For Kids
Netflix is chock full of new and returning shows for kids with three new series and five returning series hitting the streaming service next month. August 3rd sees the introduction of Beat Bugs, in which five funny, charming young bugs have adventures and learn life lessons in their overgrown backyard, in stories inspired by the songs of The Beatles.
August 5th sees the return of the fifth season of Ever After High: Epic Winter, while Project Mc² returns for its second season on August 12th. Also debuting on August 12th is Ask the StoryBots. Based on the award-winning educational apps, the StoryBots are curious little creatures who live in the world beneath our screens and go on fun adventures to help answer kids’ questions.
The third new Netflix Original Series for Kids debuts on August 19th. Bottersnikes and Gumbles is based on the much-loved books, three young Gumbles bounce and play while they avoid getting tin-canned by their grumpy neighbours, the Bottersnikes.
New TV Series/Season
August sees the following TV series and seasons being added to the Netflix Canada roster:
- Blackstone (Seasons 1-5)
- Caught on Camera (Seasons 1-3)
- Cocaine (Season 1)
- Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23 (Seasons 1 & 2)
- Masha and the Bear (Season 2)
- Scream (Season 2 – new episodes weekly) — Netflix Original
- Small Animal Hospital (Season 1)
- Very British Problems (Seasons 1 & 2)
- World’s Oddest Animal Couples US (Season 1)
- Beat Bugs (Season 1) — Netflix Original
- Ever After High: Epic Winter (Season 5) — Netflix Original
- Ask the StoryBots (Season 1) — Netflix Original
- The Get Down (Season 1a) — Netflix Original
- Project Mc² (Season 2) — Netflix Original
- Puffin Rock (Season 2) — Netflix Original
- Bottersnikes and Gumbles (Season 1) — Netflix Original
- How to Get Away with Murder (Season 2)
The following movies are coming to Netflix Canada this month:
- The Angriest Man in Brooklyn
- Brick Mansions
- Chain Reaction
- Courage Under Fire
- Funny or Die Presents: Donald Trump’s The Art of the Deal: The Movie
- The Hard Stop
- Holding the Man
- ISIS: Women Unveiled
- The Long, Long Holiday
- My Son the Jihadi
- The Peanuts Movie
- Seve: The Movie
- Sparks and Embers
- Victor Frankenstein
- Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy: We’ve Been Thinking… — Netflix Original
- XOXO — Netflix Original
Last Chance to Watch on Netflix Canada
The following movies & shows are leaving Netflix Canada, check out some of the suggested alternatives!
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes — Suggested: The Martian, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- The Lego Movie — Suggested: LEGO DC Comics: Be-Leaguered, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Maximum Overload
- The Losers — Suggested: The Do-Over, American Ultra
- Paul — Suggested: Stranger Things, Tron
- 300: The Rise of an Empire — Suggested: The Last Kingdom, Spartacus
- Marvel’s Avengers Assemble (Season 1) — Suggested: Voltron, Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Frost Fight
- Sophia Grace & Rosie’s Royal Adventure — Suggested: Mako Mermaids, The Good Dinosaur
- Moneyball — Suggested: House of Cards, Iverson
- Death Note — Suggested: AJIN: Demi-Human, The Seven Deadly Sins
And there you have what’s leaving nand what’s new on Netflix Canada in August. Let us know what you’re looking forward to watching this month in the comments below, or on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.
Last Updated on July 28, 2016.