One of the big additions to the Xbox One last year was the Xbox Play Anywhere program. In case you haven’t heard of the program, Xbox Play Anywhere allows gamers to purchase games in the program on Xbox One or Windows 10 and lets them play on both platforms. Progress, achievements, and DLC are synced between the two, and some games even allow cross-play between Xbox One and Windows 10 gamers.
Gears of War 4 cross-play already exists for campaign, Horde, and Co-op Versus modes, and now cross-play for Social Quickplay has been added to the game. Xbox indicated that their cross-play Test Weekend late last year was successful enough to warrant bringing cross-play between Windows 10 and Xbox One players to both platforms.
- Over 750,000 Matches Played
- Over 115,000 Unique Participants – 91/9 split from Xbox to Windows 10
- Average of 6.2 matches played by Xbox users, with 11.2 for Windows 10 users
- Over 90% of all matches during the weekend included a mix of Windows 10 and Xbox One players
- Windows 10 and Xbox players had closely-matched results when comparing Average KD, Score and Kills per match based on skill ratings
- The quality of matches improved for both Xbox and Windows 10 users – social lobbies had a higher average user count, and players completed 95% of all social matches entered vs 90% prior to Cross-play Weekend
Social Quickplay cross-play is expected to be a permanent addition to Gears of War 4, with Microsoft and The Coalition monitoring it closely for the next few months during the “trial period.” Competitive gamers need not worry as Core and Competitive modes will remain platform independent to keep Ranked play as competitive as possible. In addition, The Coalition is looking to bring new Core and Competitive updates to Windows 10 players in the future due to the popularity of Social Quickplay on the platform.
Are you excited that you can now play Windows 10 games from your Xbox One and vice-versa in Gears of War 4? Let us know in the comments below or on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.Source: Xbox Wire