StarTech has announced two new mini bus-powered Thunderbolt 3 laptop docks which allow users to connect two DisplayPort or HDMI 4K monitors without needing to an additional power source.
In addition to being able to connect two 4K monitors, the docks also include a USB-A 3.0 port and Ethernet port, while the HDMI version also includes a second USB 2.0 port.
“StarTech.com reinforces its position as a leader in the innovation cycle with the introduction of the industry’s first bus powered Thunderbolt 3 docks,” commented Nirav Gandhi, Director, Product Development, StarTech.com. “These new docking stations deliver cost effective Thunderbolt 3 connectivity without compromising performance while enabling the essential connections users need to be productive such as dual 4K 60Hz ultra HD resolution displays, Ethernet and wireless or wired keyboard/mouse.”
“With 40Gbps of bandwidth available through a single cable, Thunderbolt™ 3 enables high performance dual 4K 60 Hz displays to enjoy amazing resolution and contrast,” said Jason Ziller, General Manager, Client Connectivity Division at Intel. “StarTech.com’s new Thunderbolt™ 3 Dual 4K Mini Docking Station delivers on that performance using a smaller form factor and bus power.”
Features of the mini docking stations include:
- Up to two 4K DisplayPort monitors running at 60Hz refresh, or a single 5K 60Hz DisplayPort monitor (only TB3DK2DP) by connecting two DisplayPort cables.
- Bus-powered so no external power supply required.
- Built-in Gigabit Ethernet port and support for PXE Boot.
- Compact size with integrated 20cm Thunderbolt 3 cable making it convenient for space-saving workstations and portable for mobile on-the-go professionals.
- Generous spacing around USB 3.0 Type A port (for a compact/travel product) to accommodate most standard USB flash drives.
- Additional USB 2.0 port on HDMI model.
- Flexible connectivity to MacBook Pro or Windows laptops with a Thunderbolt 3 port.
The mini Thunderbolt 3 DisplayPort dock is currently available for $163.99USD while the HDMI version will be available soon for $182.99USD. Both docks will also be available at CDW, Amazon.com, Newegg.com, PC Connection, and Insight and will be distributed by Ingram Micro, SYNNEX, Tech Data, D&H and ASI.Purchase from StarTech.com