Rare has announced that the February 6th Sea of Thieves update will require players to fully download and re-install the game. The update will benefit users with a smaller overall install size for the game, as well as optimized updates down the road.
As can be seen in the patch notes below, the update significantly reduces the installation size of the game.
- Overall, the game install size will go down. For the different platforms, this will mean the following improvements:
- Xbox One – from an install size of 35GB to 10GB
- Xbox One X – from an install size of 47GB to 25GB
- Windows 10 PC – from an install size of 47GB to 27GB
- Changes to how we generate game updates/patches will better enable us to manage future content being added to the game. This might mean that patch sizes increase slightly in the future, but the benefit is that the game install size won’t increase significantly. If we didn’t make this change, the game install size would continue to increase, taking up more and more of your hard drive space.
- Due to the game install changing, we’ll be able to more quickly generate and transfer builds which is a significant part of day-to-day development internally at Rare. It’ll mean improvements to various areas of our development process, including how quickly we can generate builds and ship them to players.
Hit the video below to hear more about the upcoming update from Joe ‘Three Sheets” Neate, Executive Producer of Sea of Thieves.
What do you think about Sea of Thieves requiring a complete re-download to reduce the overall game size and optimize future updates? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter, Facebook, or MeWe.[button link=”https://www.seaofthieves.com/news/install-size-update” icon=”fa-external-link” side=”left” target=”blank” color=”285b5e” textcolor=”ffffff”]Source: Sea of Thieves[/button]
Last Updated on February 3, 2021.