We love Plex around here and if you keep an eye out you may just find another Plex Pass giveaway in the future. We love working with the folks over at Plex and they make an amazing user experience. That user experience is getting better with a slew of updates being pushed to the Plex Android app.
If you have a Plex server or if you have access to a Plex server and you use an Android phone, you really need to download the Android app ASAP. The company is pulling a bunch of features that were in beta and releasing them into the proper Android app. Here’s a rundown of what you can expect from the new Plex app on Android:
- Updated UI – Experience video with the same elegant user interface as music
- Picture-in-Picture – Press the home button during video playback to enter PIP mode. Enjoy other apps or browse through your Plex library while continuing to watch videos
- Better Seeking – Scrub along the seekbar by dragging to see a thumbnail preview (note this requires that previews be enabled in your Plex Media Server) OR double tap the left or right side of the video to seek backwards or forwards quickly
- New Viewing Modes – Change the display mode to fill, stretch and show the video at original size (under Playback Settings > Display Mode). Watch videos with your phone in portrait, landscape-lock can be used to keep landscape only mode (under Playback Settings > Lock to Landscape)
- Chapters – Jump ahead or skip back to your favorite chapter without digging. around for the right spot
- Preload Next Videos – When the countdown takes place on the post-play, the next video in your play-queue begins to buffer for an instant start
If you still haven’t tried Plex Pass, you can sign up for a free 30-day trial over on their website. Give it a go and if you don’t like it, you lose nothing.
Last Updated on February 3, 2021.