Handheld gaming devices, like the ROG Ally, Steam Deck, and Lenovo Legion Go, really started gaining in popularity last year. Typically speaking, most of them have been powered by the AMD Ryzen™ Z1 Extreme Processor. Earlier this week at CES, MSI debuted the first handheld gaming system (dubbed The Claw) that’s powered by the new Intel Core Ultra processor.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
With up to an Intel Core Ultra 7 processor 155H on board, it’ll be interesting to see how it stacks up against systems with the AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme processor. MSI states that the Intel Core™ Ultra processors and integrated Intel XeSS technology allow the Claw to significantly elevate FPS, ensuring a seamless, immersive gameplay experience.
“We’re proud to partner with MSI to deliver unparalleled experiences for users around the globe. The new MSI Claw is an exciting new gaming handheld powered by an Intel Core Ultra processor that provides an unparalleled gaming experience to be enjoyed anywhere, anytime.”Michelle Johnston Holthaus, Executive Vice President and GM, Client Computing Group, Intel
The MSI Claw features a 7-inch IPS FHD display with a 120Hz refresh rate, “boasting vibrant color reproduction.” MSI goes on to say that it is also equipped with MSI Cooler Boost Hyperflow thermal technology, Claw’s intraflow thermal design redirects airflow to cool internal components, ensuring optimal gaming performance for an extended period without overheating. As a handheld device, Claw has achieved the optimal balance between grip and weight. Using meticulously polished design details, from the curvature that fits the palm to finger grip positions and trigger force, results in Claw being ergonomically tailored for comfort and precision. It is designed to fit the natural contours of users’ grip, providing an intuitive gaming experience for hands of all sizes.
As for battery capacity, the Claw ships with a 53Whr battery which, according to MSI, delivers two hours of battery life “under full workload conditions.”
“In our commitment to enhancing the gaming experience for our users, we aim to address market pain points and dedicate efforts to the handheld space. We have fine-tuned specific designs tailored exclusively for gamers, debuting our very first handheld, Claw, which redefines the standards in the handheld market.”Eric Kuo, the Executive Vice President & NB BU GM of MSI
Full specifications of the MSI Claw A1M (as the full model name goes) include:
- Processor: Up to Intel Core Ultra 7 processor 155H
- Chipset: Integrated SoC
- Memory: LPDDR5 onboard, 16GB, dual channel
- Display: 7″ FHD (1920×1080), 120Hz Refresh Rate, Touch Screen, 100% sRGB (Typical), 500 nits brightness (Typical), IPS-Level Panel
- Graphics: Intel Arc Graphics
- Storage Slot: 1x NVMe M.2 2230 SSD by PCIe Gen 4×4
- Sensor: 6-Axis IMU Vibration Motor
- Communication: Intel Killer Wi-Fi 7 BE1750, Bluetooth v5.4
- Audio: 2x 2W Speakers, 1x Audio Combo Jack, Hi-Res Audio Ready
- I/O Port: 1x Thunderbolt 4/DP/USB Type-C (w/ PD 3.0 Charging), 1x microSD Card Reader, 1x Audio Combo Jack, 1x Power Button with Fingerprint Sensor
- Battery/Adapter: 6-cell, Li-Polymer, 53Whr/65W USB Type-C PD 3.0
- Colour: Black
- Operating System: Windows 11 Home, Windows 11 Pro
- Dimensions: 294 x 117 x 21.2mm
- Weight: 675g
Pricing is rumoured to start around the same $699 mark as other gaming handhelds. Availability has yet to be announced but once we hear more, we’ll be sure to update you here.
What do you think of MSI using the Intel Core Ultra processor in its Claw handheld gaming device? Are you going to be picking one up? Let us know on social media by using the buttons below, and be sure to check back frequently for more CES 2024 news!