After weeks of speculation, and T-Mobile announcing yesterday that they will be carrying the new Samsung Gear S2 smartwatch, official specifications and models have been announced by Samsung at IFA in Berlin.
Two version of the smartwatch will be released next month — the Gear S2 and the Gear S2 classic — Samsung designed the Gear S2 to appeal to two distinct consumer preferences. The Gear S2 classic is made for users who prefer a more timeless watch design, offering an elegant black finish with a matching genuine leather band. The Gear S2 is ideal for those who are on-the-go and have an admiration for minimal and modern design. The Gear S2 will also be available in a 3G version, while the Gear S2 classic will not.
“For the past several years, Samsung has pioneered and advanced the wearables category, bringing brave new concepts to the smart wearables market,” said JK Shin, CEO and Head of Samsung’s IT & Mobile Business. “The Samsung Gear S2 reflects Samsung’s most progressive innovation. It is the perfect complement for any occasion, easily taking you from day to night, from work to workout—and ensuring that you get more out of every moment in your day, by making it smarter and ultimately more personal and fun.”
The Gear S2 comes in at a mere 11.4mm thick, a 1.2-inch circular screen and 360×360 resolution. Running Samsung’s Tizen OS, the smartwatch sports an optimized 1-GHz dual-core processor. NFC technology is also included, which will enable mobile payments. Samsung is also working with a wide selection of partners across different industries to expand the usability of wearables and streamline consumers’ mobile lives in a variety of ways, including smart car keys, residential room keys, and remote controls to manage a connected home. The 250mAh or 300mAh (3G version) battery is said to last up to 2-3 days.
Samsung Gear S2 & Gear S2 classic
- Display: 1.2″ circular Super AMOLED 360×360 (302ppi) screen
- AP: Dual core 1.0 GHz
- OS: Tizen based wearable Platform
- Audio codec: MP3/AAC/AAC+/eAAC+
- Audio format: MP3, M4A, AAC, OGG
- Memory: 4GB memory, 512MB RAM
- Communications: Contacts, Notifications, Messages, Email, Preset text, Voice input, Emoticons, Keypads
- Health & Fitness: S Health, Nike+ Running
- Information: Schedule, News, Maps & Navigation, Weather
- Media: Music Player, Gallery
- Others: S Voice, Voice Memo, Find My Device, Power Saving Mode, Safety assistance, Privacy lock
- IP68 Certified Dust and Water Resistant
- Samsung Gear Apps
- Connectivity: WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.1, NFC
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Heart Rate, Ambient Light, Barometer
- Battery: Wireless charging, 250mAh Li-ion
- Gear S2: 42.3 x 49.8 x 11.4mm (47g)
- Gear S2 classic: 39.9 x 43.6 x 11.4 mm (42g)
Samsung Gear S2 3G
The Gear S2 3G has similar specifications as the Gear S2 with the exception of:
- 3G connectivity
- Battery: 300mAh Li-ion
- 44.0 x 51.8 x 13.4mm (51g)
The Samsung Gear S2 will be available in a dark gray case with a dark gray band and silver case with a white band. The Samsung Gear S2 classic will be available in a black case with a leather band. Samsung Canada is has confirmed that the Gear S2 will be available for Canadian consumers beginning in October. The devices will be offered through major retailers as well as at Samsung Experience Stores.
What do you think about Samsung’s second version of the Gear S2? let us know in the comments below, or on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.
Last Updated on November 27, 2018.