Microsoft’s free-to-play game creation game, Project Spark, was first released for PC and Xbox back in October 2014. Now a year later, almost to the day, the game will lose the free-to-play model and become a 100% free and open creation platform.
With Project Spark, players can make games, movies, and other experiences. Players can create content of their own, download other user-generated content, or remix the content they download. There are various tools that can be used to customize terrain, add animal and plant life, and program behaviours for objects based on events. Over the past year, the studio has added many features in the form of DLC to the game, including Conker themed content. As of October 5th, all of this content will be available at no cost for everyone who plays the game.
Those who have purchased digital content since July 28, 2015 or have outstanding in-game tokens will automatically receive Microsoft Store credit equivalent to the money they’ve spent. The credit is expected to be completed within 30-60 days after October 5th.
In addition to going free, Project Spark will unleash one last set of DLC content on October 5th, with no further updates being made to the game afterwards. The developers feel that with the latest DLC content packs, and over 46 released packs and 2000+ assets, that there is more than enough ways for players to continue to create and customize their own games.
Some of the features for the Title Update 16 arriving on October 5th include:
- The maximum terrain limit in creations has been doubled (on top of Massive World Builder)
- The maximum prop limit in creations has been increased by 500 (on top of Massive World Builder)
- 200+ new assets will be added in game, including a dragon, goblin warlord, bog biome and a set of new primitive building blocks
- Each creator will now have a total of 100 Upload Slots for their creations
- UGC ranking will be based on downloads and favorites, instead of upvote/downvote ratings
- The Project Spark Marketplace has been removed
- The Project Spark Tour and Treasure Trove have been removed
- Achievements have been revamped for players and creators
Have you been playing Project Spark? If so, what do you think of the changes? If not, will this entice you to take a look? Let us know in the comments below, or on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.[button type=”link” link=”http://forums.projectspark.com/yaf_postsm251041_Project-Spark-Transitioning-to-Free-Incubation-Engine.aspx#post251041″ variation=”btn-danger” target=”blank”]Source: Project Spark[/button]
Last Updated on November 27, 2018.