Apple / iOS / Mobile / Tech

Australian woman says she suffered 2nd-degree burns from her iPhone 7

2nd-degree burns

Ms. Pelaez says that Apple offered her a replacement phone but she declined, saying she no longer trusts their products.

As much as we want to believe the devices we carry in our pockets and hands day in and day out are 100% safe, the reality is, they are not. The Samsung Note7 recall has proven that and now a new Apple iPhone 7 incident has surfaced in Austrailia. Melanie Tan Pelaez claims to have suffered 2nd-degree burns from her iPhone 7 after falling asleep on top of it while it was charging. When she woke up she said she felt a “pins and needles” sensation on her arm and noticed it was bright red.

I went to get dressed and realised my arm was very red, so I then went to the GP and they advised me I needed to go straight to the hospital, she told The hospital did a number of tests and told me the mark was a burn from a foreign object and told me to check around my bed to see what could be the cause of the injury.

We matched the markings on my arm to the phone and charger, she said. Apple took my phone and details, but said it couldn’t have been the phone because it didn’t have a distinct smell. I then got a call from a member of the executive team who told me they were now handing the matter and had sent the phone to a senior technician in California for testing.

Apple seems to think the phone isn’t to blame as it is designed to shut down, but my injury shows this isn’t the case. I’m just lucky because it could have been a lot worse, she said.

Ms. Pelaez says that Apple offered her a replacement phone but she declined, saying she no longer trusts their products. 2nd-degree burns are certainly nothing to scoff at and Apple has confirmed the story and confirms they are working with Ms. Pelaez to resolve the issue and find out how this happened. There have been sporadic reports of iPhone’s overheating so hopefully Apple is keeping an eye on this closely.

To Top