After rolling out last month in the U.S., the Samsung Bixby voice assistant has expanded to Canada and over 200 more countries around the world. Available for the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ Android smartphones, Samsung Bixby is currently available in U.S. English and Korean.
Bixby is unique in that it is an intelligent interface, rather than a standalone app. When an application becomes Bixby-enabled, Bixby will support almost every task that the application is capable of performing using voice, touch or text. Bixby’s deep integration is also built into the smartphone settings so that you can change phone options– such as setting the screen timeout or showing all notifications– without interrupting what you are currently doing.
Bixby allows you to further personalize and control your phone through the use of Quick Commands which allow you to create a custom voice command to perform multiple actions. For example, you can use the command “good night” as a shortcut for “Turn on Do-not-disturb mode, set an alarm for 6:00 AM and turn on blue light filter.”
Some other default commands and functions that you can use Bixby for include:
- “Take a selfie” — use Bixby to edit, enhance and share images
- “Turn my alarm on for 6:00 a.m.” — set an alarm for a specific time
- “Set screen timeout to 10 minutes” — adjust settings and bypass menus to locate a specific function
- “Open Facebook Messenger and read my latest message” — use your voice to open apps and perform an action
- Create a voice password with Bixby to unlock your phone using your voice
As with any voice assistant, the easier it is to use, the more successful and useful it will be. With Bixby, you can talk to it like you would any human using natural language so you don’t have to remember specific formal or oversimplified trigger words.
Last Updated on August 23, 2017.